Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Lentils >

Lentils

Lentils

Old 08-22-2010, 10:54 AM

Our of ignorance...Do different coloured lentils taste different? If so which are better?
Old 08-22-2010, 10:57 AM

For me, it's more texture that's different. Like, regular green/brown lentils are more firm, but the little teeny orange lentils cook super fast and end up mushy (for me).

I have some black lentils that I've yet to cook...but mostly because I forget I have them! I have an indian recipie that calls specifically for them. I'm a novice though, so no idea why!
Old 08-22-2010, 11:50 AM

Thanks Rebecca
Old 08-24-2010, 04:11 PM

We like the brown ones. Soup with ham and carrot,celery and potatoes I cook it first with bouillon and a bay leaf then add the meat cut up so no grease from the meat is in it. I make split pea soup same way. ( the green ones)YUM
Old 08-24-2010, 04:15 PM
Power Poster

I think so...I am not keen on the brown ones, my husband makes lentil pasta (not my favourite). I prefer the red (orange really) ones, they cook faster and seem to have more flavour.
Old 09-05-2010, 02:36 PM

The best overall lentils are Green Lentils, usually from France. I've never seen green lentils from the US but I'm sure they are available somewhere.

I use the red lentils for salads. You only have to cook them for a few minutes, then drain and cool them down. Add whatever veggies you want - i.e. celery, tomatoes, bell peppers, cucumbers, etc, and stuff them into avocado or tomatoes.

The brown lentils are good for every day stuff. I make the best lentil soup with Italian sausage. These lentils are great with tomatoes and any kind of sausage.

But the green lentils stand up the best to cooking and have the best flavor - at least to me.
Old 09-08-2010, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by gingerella
The best overall lentils are Green Lentils, usually from France. I've never seen green lentils from the US but I'm sure they are available somewhere.

I use the red lentils for salads. You only have to cook them for a few minutes, then drain and cool them down. Add whatever veggies you want - i.e. celery, tomatoes, bell peppers, cucumbers, etc, and stuff them into avocado or tomatoes.

The brown lentils are good for every day stuff. I make the best lentil soup with Italian sausage. These lentils are great with tomatoes and any kind of sausage.

But the green lentils stand up the best to cooking and have the best flavor - at least to me.
So.... Do you have a recipie for the Lentil soup with Italian Sausage? It sounds wonderful!!!!
Old 09-08-2010, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by Jim's Gem
Originally Posted by gingerella

So.... Do you have a recipie for the Lentil soup with Italian Sausage? It sounds wonderful!!!!
I do. I use chicken broth, about a cup or two of already cooked lentils, rinsed, (takes about 20 minutes of cooking in water) several already cooked sausages sliced thinly, some uncooked spinach leaves which I add at the very last five minutes, and whatever small quantities of vegetables you might have left over in the refrig. Even potatoes work if you have any. Simmer for a few minutes - maybe twenty or so to make sure the lentils are cooked. But just simmer.

This can be done with rinsed already cooked white beans (I used S&W canned white beans) or even in a pinch garbanzos. Simmer all for a few minutes, and boy oh boy is this a very nice soup on a cold afternoon. My husband just loves it when we have leftover sausages. This is just for the two of us.

Actually, I ask him to cook several extra when we barbq most anything so that I have some already cooked in the freezer for just such days as "soup" days.
Old 10-04-2011, 12:42 PM
Power Poster

I like the brown ones best.