Thinning hair

Old 08-23-2010, 02:27 AM

Hello, I never had thick hair but as I am getting older it is thinning out a lot. I went to a dermatologist and he gave me a prescription to spray on my head twice a day. I think it is called "Colbrex".. VERY EXPENSIVE.... $440, but he gave me a coupon and I didn't pay anything for it. Thank goodness because it did not work. It is a med for Psoriosis. (sp)
My other option was to take steroid head shots. No, they didn't really hurt. It is slow but it does begin to show some hair growth. Due to insurance mess up, now on Medicare and having to change insurance cards three times, I have taken a break from the shots. I am now taking a pill, Biotin, for hair and growth. I get it at WalMart for about $5. I also am using a shampoo, Biolage, by Matrix, also from WalMart. A little more expensive than other shampoos but not bad. I think it is about $12. I haven't been using it very long so don't know about the results. My sister in law has a worse case than me and is using the Biotin, Biolage, and Rogaine. I can tell you that the shampoo does make your hair feel cleaner. I won't use the Rogaine because if you stop using it..... you will lose your hair. It is expensive and I can't see myself using it the rest of my life.
I hope this has been of some help. Good luck.
Old 08-23-2010, 02:28 AM

OOPS! the Biotin is for hair and NAILS. sorry
Old 08-23-2010, 04:12 AM

It's nice to know there are other woman that are going through the same things. Isn't it. Mine was a combination of surgery stress , I use to have such thick hair, hairdressers would cringe when they saw me coming. Most of my hair loss is on top . No mustache really but the chin hair. ACK!! But I do have to shave everything else less. lol
One thing I didn't see any one mention was Kelp. It helped mine come back a bit. And my nails are crazy long. I have to keep cutting them. I normally don't recommend a specific brand but in this case for some reason I have found Natures Sunshine kelp works better than others on the market. I need to get some more. I have a friend who trades me herbs for sewing so I am good to go there. :-)
Old 08-23-2010, 04:25 AM

Thanks for all you help. It certainly has given me a few things to look at. I have been under some stress this last few months. I never thought it would be stress related, more of an age thing.

Now I have long hair - almost to my waist, so I am a bit concerned that I will end up like those old men you see with nothing on top and a very thin pony tail down their back. :P
All apologies to any men on the list that have hair like this.
Old 08-23-2010, 04:32 AM

Originally Posted by LittleMo
I used to have these great thick locks, but my hair has become awfully thin of late. Does anyone else have this problem and how did you overcome it? I am almost certain it is hormone related. I am interested if there is a vitamin or other supplement I can take to make it better, or at least stop the hair loss.

Thanks for any response.
You will probably laugh at this I was at the hair dressers last winter and a patron whose hair had gotten very thin now had much thicker hair, we ask her what she did and she said someone told her to take prenatal vitamins so she did and her hair thickened up, this lady is well into her 80's so I thought what the heck worth a try, I'm on my second bottle and my hair is getting thicker again, cheap enough to try.I also have my throid checked every year and take meds for it, I'm 72
Old 08-23-2010, 04:45 AM

Originally Posted by Grandma Phyl
Originally Posted by LittleMo
I used to have these great thick locks, but my hair has become awfully thin of late. Does anyone else have this problem and how did you overcome it? I am almost certain it is hormone related. I am interested if there is a vitamin or other supplement I can take to make it better, or at least stop the hair loss.

Thanks for any response.
You will probably laugh at this I was at the hair dressers last winter and a patron whose hair had gotten very thin now had much thicker hair, we ask her what she did and she said someone told her to take prenatal vitamins so she did and her hair thickened up, this lady is well into her 80's so I thought what the heck worth a try, I'm on my second bottle and my hair is getting thicker again, cheap enough to try.I also have my throid checked every year and take meds for it, I'm 72
how do you know prenatal from regular...I would like to try these too...
Old 08-23-2010, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by Janetlmt
I was diagnosed with breast cancer in february..so..in a panic I bought a wig. So far I have not had chemo..but I have had radiation. Now that my hair is shedding..I just might take my wig along when I get my hair cut this week. It is a very nice wig. It just needs to be cut a little. It is a scary journey through these changes. I just saw the post about the prenatal vitamins..since I am on a hormone therapy for the cancer..do you think it is okay to take them?
I'm on anti-hormone therapy too. Will see my oncologist this Friday and check with him about the vitamins. We certainly don't want our meds to conflict with each other. When my hair started falling out asked my husband to give me a buzz cut, just like I do for him...but first did it mohawk style as my grandson wanted to see that first! (crazy) Kinda took the "drama" out of it though!

Am wishing you well as you go through your treatment. Send me a PM any time, OK?
Old 08-23-2010, 07:41 AM

My hair is also very thin, I always joke to the kids about when I go bald. I'm glad to try some of these things. Thanks
Old 08-23-2010, 08:08 AM

I started loosing my hair and found out that it was my thyroid. Now I am on medication for that. Also there is a shampoo that MD Anderson produced for cancer patients it's called Nioxon. I used this after I had been in the hospital after 28 days. Not only did I stop having handfulls of hair coming out, but my hair is thicker. I hope this helps.
Old 08-23-2010, 08:22 AM
Power Poster

Sounds like a common problem and everyone has some great sounding advice. best advice I read was check with your doctor before using anything. even vitamins. as they interact with prescribed drugs. don't want another side affect.or problem. My cardioligist asked me if I was taking any supliments as he was concerned about it with my meds. and past surgerys.so please be careful. good luck Mary