I'm in pain!

Old 08-24-2010, 08:56 AM

on the sewing maachine put wedges under the back to tip it forward a little made a huge difference to my head position--sewing machine mecanic x2 says willnot harm machine [[approx 2 cms up]
Old 08-24-2010, 10:16 AM

When using your laptop, basically set it in your lap or as close to it as possible. A good height on the sewing machne is crucial. I have a great sewing desk that is perfect height with my adjustable chair. Sometimes I sew at church with friends, or last week I took my machine on vacation with me and sewed at the kitchen table. It was not a good height for me. When it is too high for My shoulder gets to aching.
Frequent stretching. One thing I do (or used to when I could) is sit up straight, raise your shoulders up as high as you can then drop them as low as you can and try to leave them low. I have a habit, as my massage therapist put it, of wearing my shoulders as earings.
If you can't lift your arm up all the way you may have some impingement going on (bone spur) or you may have already frozen it up some. Get it looked at and get it moving or it will only get worse.
Old 08-24-2010, 10:46 AM

I have a problem too if I sew too long at one time. It's a good reason for taking frequent breaks! An ice pack will help...10 to 15 minutes at a time. I hope you feel better soon! :-D
Old 08-24-2010, 02:01 PM

I don't have that...yet! Sure hope you feel better soon!
Old 08-24-2010, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by virtualbernie
My left shoulder has been aching for months now. I can't lift it past just below shoulder high and can't sleep on my left side -- if I roll over to that side it wakes me up. I've started taking ibuprophen in the morning so I can move it without pain. Been putting off going to the doc because I don't want her to tell me to stop sewing so I just grin, take ibuprophen and bear it. :)
Sad news could be torn rotator cuff. My right shoulder was the same and had to have surgery, 2003, now it's great. I used ice a lot 'cause heat made it ache more.
Old 08-25-2010, 03:23 AM

i sewed in a sewing factory (corbins) for 33 yrs,,all my joints hurt and are wore out,,,but i still make my quilts,,ask your dr for a free tube of voltaren gel,,it is a arthritis rub, maybe that will help some,,it does for me
Old 08-25-2010, 04:14 AM

The height of your table when cutting, the height of your machine and of your chair can make all the difference in the world. Figure out what height is most comfortable and adjust everything necessary to make it happen. It will be well worth the effort involved.

I complained for ages about the height of a table I use at work for various purposes. Once it finally was raised on cement blocks it made all the difference in the world.
Old 08-25-2010, 07:58 AM

All the reasons for shoulder pain and all the "helps" are great, but the only thing that really helps me at the end of a long day of sewing or computer surfing for new patterns and ideas is one ADVIL (ibuprofen) tablet. It relieves any swelling that occurs in my right shoulder and at least lets me get to sleep! Good luck ladies!
Old 08-25-2010, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by carolyne2421
i sewed in a sewing factory (corbins) for 33 yrs,,all my joints hurt and are wore out,,,but i still make my quilts,,ask your dr for a free tube of voltaren gel,,it is a arthritis rub, maybe that will help some,,it does for me
My Dr gave me a couple samples of that stuff. I have only used it twice and I think you have to use it on a regular basis (pretty much) for it to really work. I think it helped when I used it but I have saved it for "emergency" use. I take it with me when I travel (and here at work!!)
Old 08-25-2010, 10:00 AM

I have to set a timer for 30 minutes and make myself stop (needle down is great!), stand up and stretch, drink some water, etc. When I first started FMQ my teacher told us that she ended up in the ER thinking she was having a heart attack when it was strained muscles from quilting too long.