Carpal Tunnel

Old 08-27-2010, 05:16 AM

I turned out to have several bone chips and a spur, once removed and recovered have had no trouble since. Get the study done know what you are dealing with.
Old 08-27-2010, 07:30 AM

I had surgery on both hands last spring 1 month apart and I haven't had any pain since. It took 4 minutes from the time the Dr. did the cut to when he wrapped my hand. Amazing! Before I had the surgery I had many shots. Surgery was the best. No long term recovery. Less than two weeks and I was back to normal use.
Old 08-27-2010, 08:29 AM

I have had the surgery on one wrist. Can't say that it helped. I wear the wrist braces at night sometimes. It helps to keep your hand from going numb while you sleep. My husband had surgery and it got good relief of his symptoms. Ask about physical therapy, sometimes that helps. You probably need to wear a brace 24/7 for a few days to keep from aggravating your wrist.
Originally Posted by 3flowers
I wonder if anyone else has had carpal tunnel pain? I had it one other time years ago and the Dr. just injected something with a long needle. Instantly the pain stopped and I was fine.

This time Dr. wants a nerve study and maybe "he will do a little surgery". Do I need another Dr. or should I just be patient. Hurts like crazy and has been bothering me 3 months. Would appreciate some advice or some encouragement!

Eileen
Old 08-27-2010, 08:50 AM

I had x-rays taken several years ago that showed bone spurs on both hands at the bottom of the thumbs. They swell up and really get to hurting. The rheumo doctor and my general doctor says it is inflammatory arthritis and have taken more x-rays and never mention the bone spurs. They gave me a cortizon shot last week and put me on pregnazone for a week. Both hands are beginning to get painful again. I have decided that when they get to hurting so bad again I am going to a foot doctor and see what they say. I am getting tired of what I feel is a run around. What do you girls think?
Old 08-27-2010, 09:13 AM

I had surgery 19 years ago on my right hand,(I an right handed) I have never had a problem since. Now I have carpal tunnel in my left hand. I wear a wrist brace 90% of the time now. It hurts like the devil when I do my hand stitching and at times not very much strength wo lift thing or hold on to something. But.... I will NEVER stop my hand quilting
Old 08-27-2010, 10:31 AM

I had the surgery on both hands in 1991. It relieved the pain and numbness.Didn't have any more problems for years then started having problem w/ trigger finger( when your finger locks up when you grip something and you have to pull it back up) Gets so it really hurts when it does that. So I have to get injections when that happens.
Old 08-27-2010, 10:45 AM

GO FOR ACUPUNCTURE. MY DOCTOR SUGESTED SURGERY. I SAID NO. ACUPUNCTURE CURE MY HANDS. ALSO I WEAR THE WRIST BRACES AT NIGHT. DO NOT GO FOR SURGERY, THE PROBLEM WILL BE THERE EVEN AFTER SURGERY.
GOOD LUCK.
Old 08-27-2010, 10:55 AM

I had carpal tunnel in both hands. It was excruciating. I'd wake up at night with pain shooting through my two middle fingers and my hands completely numb. It was so bad I didn't want to go to bed at night. I had the surgery on both hands. It was the best thing I ever did. There are no scars. The nerve conduction study wasn't bad, but when they do the heel of your hand--ouch!! That one really hurt!
Old 08-27-2010, 01:26 PM

I have had both, injection, nerve study, surgery. If you have bothersome pain then perhaps a nerve study would show what would need done. The surgery is easy simple and quick;under local anesthetic. Small amount of wrist pain, Ice helped. I had this performed some 20 years ago and my wrist has been fine every since. It is also important to use the splints especially while you sleep as we all seem to bend our wrists during sleep. Good luck and you will be back to all quilting in no time. Let us know how you
are doing and what you are going to do. Cause we care. Almost forgot. Follow the advice of Bobbie do go to a hand surgery or a neurosurgeon (I had mine done by a neurosurgeon, mostly because I worked for him)
Old 08-27-2010, 01:48 PM
Power Poster

Wear night splints also and they help alot. When there is a flare up Ice becomes my best friend and not doing repetative work. A nerve conduction test lets the doctor know how serious the pressure on the nerves are. Most doctor's are not in a hurry to do surgery if rest, ice and splinting can help. Of course if there is a chance of permanent damage to the nerves, surgery may be your only option. Have the test done and if you desire go for a second opinion.