Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My husband says I am not a quilter... >

My husband says I am not a quilter...

My husband says I am not a quilter...

Old 08-27-2010, 11:44 AM

I'm a Collector too ! My DH says I could open my own little quilt shop ... Hah ! Maybe I will, when I retire
I've been quilting for 20+ yrs. and yes there are a LOT of us Collectors out there ... probably more than the "others" who finish everything ! I enjoy having a handful of projects to work on, I'd get bored with just ONE :)
Old 08-27-2010, 11:48 AM

I made a PHD's (Projects Half Done) list for New Years Resolution, Had about 70 items on it, whether they ere in a begining stage or a kit I just had to have or quilt tops that need quilted and binded. I am down to about 62 on that list. I also made a list of my "sewing" items (clothing, curtains etc...) That list is down too. But someone had to invite me to the Farmers Wife Sampler Quilt and now I am going off in another direction (I wonder where that perso is now???). Got 20 blocks done in 7 days, and last night I decided before I finished another FWS block I need to finish my "Professional tote". I should finish it tonight, then I will make a couple more blocks and just slowly work down my list. We have our local guild Quilt Show Sept 25th, and I want to put as much as I can in it of my PHD's.
On friday evening of last week, I started a quilt journal for my FWS quilt, so I will put that in our show has a work in progress. I am the only one in my area doing the FWS quilt. Thought it might gets some others interested.
Old 08-27-2010, 12:07 PM

A quilter is a quilter, no matter how you look at them, and by the way, I think most of us would look alike. HAHA
"OJOMOMMA" would like to get on the receiving list of fabrics for shipping - the more the merrier!
Old 08-27-2010, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by GrammaNan
My husband says that I am not a quilter, I am a "Collector"! I have so many projects started and waiting to be started that I am overwhelmed. Does anyone else feel that way? What have you done to feel better and get things done? Have you given things away just to get things to a manageable level?
I think if you've ever quilted anything, you are are a quilter. Maybe not a prolific quilter, but a quilter just the same! :)
Old 08-27-2010, 12:56 PM

This is just like home. I sat in my sewing room just yesterday and looked at all my fabric and dident see any thing I wanted. I am having fabric withdraw. Must run to the fabric store. Ops, I mean to my Bernina dealer and she just happens to be in the fabric store.
Hubby says I can't fool him. He has offered to go with me but I told him that I think I can find it by myself. Darn retirement! We have turned into two old people joined at the hip. LOL
Old 08-27-2010, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by Late Bloomer
My husband keeps wondering when I am ever going to use the fabric stash I have instead of buying new fabric for each project. He cannot understand this and as I have all my fabric stored in a large bookcase, there is no place for me to hide them. I just don't know how I can use those dark fabrics I bought when I started quilting and had no idea of what I was doing at the time. They are beautiful, but I am not good at matching them with anything else. Any ideas out there????
Yes...do an Amish style quilt. They are really great looking, even if you have prints, as long as they are all dark.
Old 08-27-2010, 01:22 PM

If my husband ever gets stuck to my hip I will get out the rotary cutters from Harbor Freigh and well !!!! need I say more!!!!! HaHaHa.... I need the number for the husband abuser hotline.... LMAO
Old 08-27-2010, 01:27 PM

I thought we had to look at and keep patting our fabric for a while before using it.

That said, hubby once asked me if I was going to actually be using all of it, or if I was keeping it to insulate the walls ready for winter. :roll:
Old 08-27-2010, 03:08 PM

I have three projects going right now. My sewing room is to hot to work in when it gets really hot. I have to wait till fall to finish but I keep getting patterns and fabric so I will be ready. I just keep piling it up. I keep collecting not quilting.
Old 08-27-2010, 03:15 PM

Leonardo da Vinci went from one project to another and didn't finish a lot of what he started either!

I heard Mark Lipinski speak at the Canadian National Quilt show this spring and he said that people who design fabric, patterns, and write books aren't primarily getting you to make quilts, they're selling a dream. Some of us may not produce a lot but when we buy new fabrics and plan what we are going to do with them, we are dreaming lovely dreams

If you can afford it and are enjoying it, then quilt a little and dream a lot. If you are feeling oppressed or bothered by your fabric collection, then follow some of the good suggestions posted by other collectors on this board to pare down your stash.