Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Happy Hauntings AKA "I just don't need that much misery in my life" >

Happy Hauntings AKA "I just don't need that much misery in my life"

Happy Hauntings AKA "I just don't need that much misery in my life"

Old 08-27-2010, 06:22 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Rachelcb80
If the applique you're doing has just a few big pieces, the freezer paper works fine. For some of the smaller stuff in this quilt I used a water soluble fusible, so I didn't have to worry about removing the freezer paper. I really like the water soluble stuff. It's made by C&T Publishing (I'm pretty sure that's the right name). Trace design on the non-shiney side, shiney side irons on to the wrong side of your fabric, you can then turn under your edges, stitch to your background and your done. You can do multiple layers of it since it dissolves once washed. With the freezer paper you have to remove the paper (by cutting away the background behind the applique piece) after each piece is stitched on.

I bought a book when I first started with applique that I really, really liked. It's called More! Hand Applique By Machine by Beth Ferrier. If you want to use a machine for applique, I suggest taking a look at this book and Beth's method. If you're going to do it by hand, I have no suggestions for you other than gather your patience 'cause you're gonna need it! :)
I will be using a machine and more than likely my <gulp> 500A to do the applique. You do realize that I do not do electric machines dont you..........

But I will try and to find the book you mentioned at out local Davis Kidd or Borders and see how she does it. Thank you so much for all of the help and do not be surprised if you get some PM's asking for some expert help from me!

You did a wonderful job and you should be very proud of yourself!!

Billy
Old 08-27-2010, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
If the applique you're doing has just a few big pieces, the freezer paper works fine. For some of the smaller stuff in this quilt I used a water soluble fusible, so I didn't have to worry about removing the freezer paper. I really like the water soluble stuff. It's made by C&T Publishing (I'm pretty sure that's the right name). Trace design on the non-shiney side, shiney side irons on to the wrong side of your fabric, you can then turn under your edges, stitch to your background and your done. You can do multiple layers of it since it dissolves once washed. With the freezer paper you have to remove the paper (by cutting away the background behind the applique piece) after each piece is stitched on.

I bought a book when I first started with applique that I really, really liked. It's called More! Hand Applique By Machine by Beth Ferrier. If you want to use a machine for applique, I suggest taking a look at this book and Beth's method. If you're going to do it by hand, I have no suggestions for you other than gather your patience 'cause you're gonna need it! :)
I will be using a machine and more than likely my <gulp> 500A to do the applique. You do realize that I do not do electric machines dont you..........

But I will try and to find the book you mentioned at out local Davis Kidd or Borders and see how she does it. Thank you so much for all of the help and do not be surprised if you get some PM's asking for some expert help from me!

You did a wonderful job and you should be very proud of yourself!!

Billy
I do, very well, know your aversion to electric machines. :D That is why I mentioned doing it by hand because I was having a hard time imaging you at an electric machine. But to use Beth Ferrier's method all you need is a machine capable of a zig zag stitch.

You know you're more than welcome to shoot me a PM anytime! I'll give you whatever little advice or knowledge I have. :)
Old 08-27-2010, 06:39 PM
Power Poster

Rachel,
This is the most darling halloween quilt I have ever seen. And believe me, I have seen a ton of them! What size is it?
Old 08-27-2010, 06:51 PM
Power Poster

Great job!
Old 08-27-2010, 06:53 PM

Hi from another MS girl!

You did a wonderful job with this piece. So many fun elements. Applique scares me a little bit!

I passed a Raleigh exit on my way to Jackson today! Is that "your" Raleigh? If so, I'd love to know if you can recommend any good shops that may have classes! I am teaching myself and learning a lot but would definitely benefit from more instruction!! I'm willing to travel a little bit, as I am sure it will be necessary.
Old 08-27-2010, 06:54 PM
Banned

I do, very well, know your aversion to electric machines. :D That is why I mentioned doing it by hand because I was having a hard time imaging you at an electric machine. But to use Beth Ferrier's method all you need is a machine capable of a zig zag stitch.

You know you're more than welcome to shoot me a PM anytime! I'll give you whatever little advice or knowledge I have. :)
Well you know sometimes you have to make sacrifices to achieve your goals and if I have to break out an electric from my collection then I guess I will take one for the team!! :mrgreen:

At least it has all of the fancy stitches built in and I can always whip out the cams for something different.

But like I said you will be hearing from me because this is all new territory for me and you have been there and done that and did a wonderful job!!

Thanks for everything Rachael!!

Billy
Old 08-27-2010, 06:57 PM

I think you did an amazing job on this....I would be proud to call it mine!! Your applique and your quilting look top notch to me!!!Excellent job! :thumbup: :thumbup: :-D
Old 08-27-2010, 07:08 PM

Such a good job, though!
Old 08-27-2010, 07:59 PM

WOW.... I really like it! What wonderful Misery!
Old 08-27-2010, 08:20 PM

Wow, what a cute quilt, love your borders and quilting. Great job.