Carpal Tunnel

Old 08-27-2010, 06:47 PM

I have troubles with both my thumbs. They hurt whenever they get bumped. I didn't know if it was arthritis or carpel tunnel. I just don't go to drs. Sometimes I dropped things and can't pick things up.
Old 08-27-2010, 07:17 PM

I had bilateral carpal tunnel and had the surgery on both hands 6 weeks apart in 1993. I then took 3 months of intensive physical therapy to get back the use of my hands becuase I did stenography and speed typist. My typing speed was over 100 wpm when I developed the carpal tunnel and my shorthand speed was way up there also. I did not work for well over a year while recuperating. I would recommend the surgery to everyone becuase my pain went away permanently, and I was able to return to sewing, quilting and all the activities I loved. I no longer experience any pain, however, I will say that when the weather does get really cold I might have some pain then, but it is always very short lived. the surgery was a life saver for me. i couldn't have injections becuase it is a cortisone injection and I am allergic to anyting considered steroid or cortisone.
Old 08-27-2010, 07:20 PM

As a nurse I can tell you that surgery is the only way to "fix" it but I am a little concerned that your Dr says he is going to do "a little surgery".
Old 08-27-2010, 08:23 PM
Dee

I had the nerve test and found out I have nerve damage and carpal tunnel. Suggested pain mgmt., but I do things at home. I used to get cortisone and pain pills, but now I settle for stop pain, advil, and patches and hand braces. Live one day at a time, as my 90 yr. old Aunt told me. She is a breast cancer survior for 4 yrs. now. I didn't like feeling like a zombie every day.
Old 08-27-2010, 09:16 PM

Again I suggest Cobroxin, you can get it at Walgreens, so probably at WM also. It is actually cobra venom, but it really, really works. I am pain free for the first time in over 7 years. The gel is best for arthritic pain, and the spray (sublingual) for all the fibromyalgia ups and downs. Takes about a week to get it into your system enough for it to do its best work, but I would recommend it to anyone,
Old 08-27-2010, 09:37 PM

I had the surgery back in 1975 and have not had any trouble with my hand. Carpal tunnel is not a inflammation problem your wrist has a tunnel there the nerves go from your arm to your hands. The nerves get pinched from using your hands in wrong position in mild cases the shot of cortisone can help, but you can only had so many as cortisone stays in your body. Yes the nerve test is the let the doctor know just how much damages there is to the nerves I thought that was the worst part the surgery was a piece of cake and I had it done back when you stay in the hospital a couple of days. It sounded like some of the gals here had a problem with the tendons in their arm which is a inflammation problem there your arm and wrist hurt very badly there is a surgery for it in really bad cases, but with time it can be heal with meds and braces.
Old 08-27-2010, 10:16 PM

Try everything for your carpal tunnel before you have any surgery. A Dr. may say it's only a couple of little cuts but it's more like an invasion of your body. Surgery is never a quick answer...it should be the last resort. Good luck.
Old 08-28-2010, 03:53 AM

Is there a way to stop somee computer work? It is repetative movement that brings it on.
Old 08-28-2010, 06:02 AM

You probably have arthritis. Even braces didn't stop the pain for me. Even shots in my thumbs did not do the trick. When an x-ray was taken, I had no bone. They only way to stop the extra movement and pain was to have my thumb rebuilt. It really worked.
I can now do anything I want without pain.
Old 08-28-2010, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by sharon b
Can't hurt to do the nerve study and see what that shows . But before surgery maybe try another shot to see what kind of relief you get . Good luck :thumbup:
These surgeries are done very, very often now. There is even a technique using a scope that is less invasive now but it depends on the extent of your need. I have never known anybody to have a prob. afterwards. They come out painfree. I'd sure do it if I needed it.