Carpal Tunnel

Old 08-28-2010, 10:50 AM

Thanks again for such wonderful suggestions. I have gathered enough information here to have an informed discussion with my Dr. when I am able to see him again. First, like I said, have to see nerve Dr. in 3 weeks.

DH is laid up with many ailments, so I have had to do all the yard work (cut weeds, shovel some dirt, etc.), plus all the housework. And of course I can make a hard job out of anything. Shaking rugs, carrying heavy things. It's a wonder I haven't caused myself more injuries.

Have you folks noticed that nothing is easy anymore? Even a trip to the store takes all your time and energy.

Well, thanks again. I am using the brace, trying the various rubs, and fearing the surgery. However, if there is no way around it, I will have to get it done. I have to do something, I guess. At least I won't be afraid. But I am going to give myself time to think. The Drs. here are so busy they want to schedule other things before you leave their office.

Eileen
Old 08-28-2010, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by 3flowers
I wonder if anyone else has had carpal tunnel pain? I had it one other time years ago and the Dr. just injected something with a long needle. Instantly the pain stopped and I was fine.

This time Dr. wants a nerve study and maybe "he will do a little surgery". Do I need another Dr. or should I just be patient. Hurts like crazy and has been bothering me 3 months. Would appreciate some advice or some encouragement!

Eileen
I had to sit up to sleep in order to stop the numbness so I had surgery on both hands. DH has surgery on right hand. Both of us had wonderful results. I encourage surgery. Get it over and done with, you will be happy that you did.
Old 08-28-2010, 05:37 PM

Have it done. The new way they do it I had a small incision on the palm of my hand and on my wrist. One stitch in each. Instant relief and like some others I almost waited to long and had permanent damage. After Surg he told me I could do anything but encouraged me to use it and massage both incisions with lotion several times a day after I took out the stitches. Yep I had the surg and we left on vacation for 3 weeks. 6 days after surg I made home made bread. took the stitches out myself and went back for follow up over a month after surg. I do still have some pain but all my joints are bone on bone so I am looking at getting some joints replaced. No more numbness or tingeing tho!! Once the nerves are damaged instead of just being irritated the surg doesn't help as much or at all.
Old 08-28-2010, 06:25 PM

my brother had carpal tunnel surgery. it is a new minimum invasive surgery perfected by a dr brown out of houston, he has taught others how to do it. my brother had one arm done, waited six weeks, and did the other one, he was unable to use his arm for 7 days after surgery, but he says it is soooo much better and the surgery was not bad at all. try looking up dr. brown on the internet if interested.
Old 08-28-2010, 08:26 PM

I had carpal tunnel in both wrists. Couldn't sew for more than a few minutes before they ached and my fingers went numb. Went to a neurologist and had the shock test - that was the worst part of the whole deal. He said that I had severe carpal tunnel in both wrists, and suggested surgery. I had both of them done, two weeks apart in early 2009. Only a small scar about 3/4 of an inch in the heel of my hand now - and ABSOLUTELY no more pain or numbness!! It is well worth the sugery in my opinion.
Mona McPherson
Old 08-29-2010, 03:45 AM

I also have capal tunnel The shots work I also have spurs in my right shoulder and was given a cortozone shot that has really helped. A friend has had the capal tunnel surgery and it was the microscopic type and has not had any problems since.
Old 08-29-2010, 04:18 AM

I had CTS surgery two summers ago - right hand first, and then left hand 6 weeks later. It was life-changing! When my hands weren't numb, they pained. I didn't have a good night's sleep in years - the pain and tingling would wake me up and then I'd have to get up and walk around with my hands hanging down until the tingling stopped. I didn't quilt for 8 years because of the numbness. I have not had a problem since the surgeries. I don't have much strength in my hands but at least they don't hurt anymore! :D
Old 08-29-2010, 11:44 AM

After wearing splints 24/7 for too many years, I finally had surgery on my right wrist last January. It was the worst of the two. Best thing I ever did...no more numbness or pain. I do still wear the splint on my left hand, and when it gets to the point the right hand was, I will have that one repaired with surgery as well.

As someone already mentioned here, you need to speak with a hand surgeon. They will know what is best for YOU.

Good luck with whatever route you take.

Patti
Old 08-29-2010, 12:07 PM

Hi 3flowers - I had to have surgery , I had bi-lateral carpel tunnel and also trigger finger. Best thing I had done - pain free since . Good luck with yours
Old 08-29-2010, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by 3flowers
I wonder if anyone else has had carpal tunnel pain? I had it one other time years ago and the Dr. just injected something with a long needle. Instantly the pain stopped and I was fine.

This time Dr. wants a nerve study and maybe "he will do a little surgery". Do I need another Dr. or should I just be patient. Hurts like crazy and has been bothering me 3 months. Would appreciate some advice or some encouragement!

Eileen
I have hand quilted for some time and of course the result is some carpal tunnel. I was shown some pressure points that helped with the issue. My mom even knew someone who was scheduled for surgery and was able to decline it with this method. The sad thing is that the surgery is sometimes a temporary thing and only lasts for a few years.