Quilt Challenge!

Old 08-24-2010, 06:05 AM

I made a pledge 2 yrs ago to use up my scraps (they breed at night) before I cut into any of my yardage-I have managed to make 6 scraps quilts out of them so far (king size) and they haven't lessened one bit! One tip I have stumbled upon is separating them by color I have a huge bin for each color and that way my quilts have a "planned" look to them at times ie a blue & white quilt or I can really mix it up if I want. Scrap quilts are my favorite thing to make no 2 are ever the same!
Old 08-24-2010, 06:11 AM

Fabulous challenge! I made a queen quilt that I finished last month, in a crazy quilt pattern, and almost done with a herringbone lap quilt, all out of scraps. Didn't seem to put much of a dent in my scrap pile, so now am starting another scrappy quilt. I realy like the freedom of scrap quilts.
Old 08-24-2010, 04:29 PM

i can't wait to have scraps to work with!
Old 08-25-2010, 04:11 PM

Cute! Good try. Let me know if this works. If so I'll judge the next one. LOL in Christ, Happy Stitchin
Originally Posted by k_jupiter
I volunteer to be the judge!

Send all scrap quilts to me next Christmas and I will tell you who's is best.

Some exclusions may occur. Your mileage may vary. Do not do this at home. All quilting as shown is done by professionals, do not attempt to do this without advanced training. My favorite color is blue. Taxes are collected in the state of California. Quilts are not returnable. Winners will be notified when I stop running from a gang of angry quilters.

tim in san jose
Old 08-28-2010, 05:48 AM

There is a great fabric store in Jackson Ohio. Cheap prices! The carry the exact same material that you find in WalMart for half the price!!!! I love to go there I now have three tubs of material. I have had to make myself promise to use that material before I go buy anymore.....LOL
Old 08-28-2010, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by quiltmaker101
A lot of us are concerned about the lack of shops selling fabrics, and the prices in general, so I have a challenge for everyone. Let's see how many of us can make a quilt from just our scraps and small stash pieces within the next year. Backing is up to you whether you purchase or are really thrifty/creative with what you already have!

The thinking here is to be like the women who quilted in pioneer days. They had no shops nearby and had to save worn out shirts and dresses or feedsacks to make a quilt. We can do that too!

For inspiration, please visit www.quiltville.com and read her tips on scrap sorting and see the amazing quilts she has made from them! It is an awesome website.

If you don't already have a scrap drawer, start one! Every time you trim off ends, square up your fabric, etc, put the strips and pieces into light, dark and medium assortments. I got a lot of satisfaction from going through my scraps and making them organized. Mine are in shoe boxes and ziplocs for now. I will have to get the clear storage drawer set up that Bonnie has on her website.

Can't wait to see what everyone comes up with by next Christmas!

Hi, Ya'll. This is Patrice, here. Just wanted to explain why I had the "nerve" to post this to the top with a sticky so it won't move from Page 1. Just so happens, somebody who thinks this is a super idea asked me to find a way to make sure everybody knows about it. This was the best way I could think of to do that.
I just yesterday finished a quilt top which I have tentatively named "My Ninepatch Summer". It is made ENTIRELY OF MY SCRAPS, and there are 56 ninepatches. Some of them do not completely match. I sort of matched up shades and colors, then hunted around for lights to offset. I had to pick and choose the lights as well. The top came out pretty good. As soon as I get it photographed (Monday) I hope to post it.

I was intrigued by the challenge to make a ninepatch, any ninepatch, each day throughout the summer. I did. I even found some sashing to go with and it looks ok too. The backing was in the stash as well. What a wonderful summer. Got rid of mucho mucho scraps.

I am NOW beginning work on setting a new quilt top, made entirely of scraps, but this one is a pinwheel quilt, and none of the pinwheels match. I had made well over a hundred of these pinwheel blocks (eight inch) out of 2-1/2 inch strips for a charity quilt - all in pinks and purples. I had oodles of scraps left over, and began making some for me. I have about 35 now and I think that's enough to set them on point. I do have a name for it, if it does get done the way I have planned it. The name is tentatively called "Wind Farm".
Old 08-28-2010, 03:41 PM

This has turned into a bad thing for me.I have many projects going and now I am making a scrap quilt using used dryer sheets that I press flat as my foundation.This is addicting.Got to go and do more laundry so I will have more used dryer sheets,I've used all I have....
Old 08-29-2010, 04:23 AM

I am in the process of making a Dreden Plate Quilt out of all my scraps and I must say it is one of the nicest quilts I have ever made. Every quilt block is bordered making every block stand out. I am very pleased and I am getting rid of a lot of scraps.
Old 08-29-2010, 06:09 AM

Dresden plate! Great idea :thumbup: Thanks for the thaught :P
Old 08-29-2010, 10:13 AM

I have been working on scrap calendar quilt a la Pat Sloan on her Mashup Forum. I have Jan, Feb, March, May done. You just take scraps and make a strip for each day of the month. My Feb. is all red with hearts and one strip for a snow rememberance. I'm also trying to embroider different memberances like sibs b'days on the appropriate strips. I'm working on April (all blues for showers and a couple of snow strips). I'll use red, white, and blue for July strips. All this started from a selvege challenges on someone else's site.