Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why  would you hand piece a quilt? >

Why would you hand piece a quilt?

Why would you hand piece a quilt?

Old 08-30-2010, 09:55 AM

I hand quilt, but have been machine piecing, except for my GFG table topper that I finally got back out. My very first quilt has hand piecing and machine piecing (after DH bought me my machine) (never finished it, I hate that one). Anyway, I need something to do while watching TV with DH and I have to keep my hands busy. I am machine piecing a quilt that is stripped pieced then cut then sewed again, and didn't think I can do that by hand. I hate sitting upstairs by the machine by myself, plus DH would start mouthing off about me not spending time with him. My next 2 quilts that I have planned (Yellow Brick Road), I want to do by hand piecing. Then I am going to start working on a wholecloth quilt - since quilting is what I love to do the most.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:14 AM

There is a reoccurring theme here - we all want to sew but be in the same room with family! Maybe we need to move our sewing machines into the livingroom! A new trend! Where is Martha Stewart??:-)
Old 08-30-2010, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by JNCT14
I won't hand quilt because it hurts my wrists too much but I am definitely in love with hand piecing - The Celtic Illusions pattern is a bit picky when putting together the 9 patch blocks with the diagonal ones - much more accuracy with hand piecing!

Here's a question - I travel by plane for my job and I would love to take my hand work with me on the airplane especially on long haul flights - but what are the rules for taking pins and such? I figure that nail clippers will work in place of scissors, but the other stuff? I have been afraid to try because I don't want the stuff to get confiscated.
I piece on airplanes all the time. The current TSA rules allow you to take a needle and thread. I have a small felt needle book. I take 2 needles and 2 pins. In the US you can actually have small scissors (under 4 inches long). Some of the TSA agents don't seem to know their own rules so it is safer if the scissors are round tipped. If you are flying overseas leave the scissors in your checked luggage and use the nail-clipper thread cutting method. Even overseas I have never had my needle confiscated.
Old 08-30-2010, 01:05 PM

Thank you for the airplane tips! I have a tentative trip scheduled to Prague and this would be a great project to take along - there is only so much reading and bad movie watching you can do!
Old 08-30-2010, 01:13 PM

You can get a little round circle with a cutter in it that you can where as a necklace or whatever and it works really well--and of course it's another gadget we all can't live without!
Old 08-30-2010, 01:42 PM
Power Poster

I don't have the want to. I'm trying to use up my fabrics and it would be too slow for me. Good luck if that is what you want to do.
Old 08-30-2010, 01:46 PM

I am new to handquilting and finding it to be relaxing as well. It is nice to be able to sit anywhere and work on it too! I have only made three blocks of the four block sampler with the class, next comes sashing... and on from there!
Old 08-30-2010, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by quiltin amma
You can get a little round circle with a cutter in it that you can where as a necklace or whatever and it works really well--and of course it's another gadget we all can't live without!
I have one of those that I bought right after 911 and it works great! I even got a compliment on it as a necklace from someone who didn't know it was a cutter!
Old 08-30-2010, 05:53 PM

All my quitls are hand pieced, I think it likes better, and you can take it anywhere. It is also nice to know that you did with no help. ( machine ). I just love it.
Old 08-30-2010, 08:13 PM

I know this is dumb--but what exactly is hand piecing? I am a quilter and have probably done but just didn't know it. I know you cut out pieces but usually I sew them together on my sewing machine. Except for the Sunbonnet Sue I did where I blanket stitched the design on my block. Is that hand piecing? Sorry for the dumb ?

Thx. [email protected]