Sunburns

Old 08-29-2010, 06:08 PM

Not to sound uncaring, because I do care. BUT, the best thing for a sunburn is sunscreen. Every time I go to the dermatologist she drums it into me. Slather it on before you even leave the house and keep refreshing it. The cases of skin cancer are going up and up and up because people aren't careful about being in the sun. (Sorry if I'm pontificating, but...)
Old 08-31-2010, 04:03 AM

Being on the suncoast of FL for nearly 40 years, most visitors are not prepared for the intensity of the sun here, even in the winter. One visitor to my aunt's, had a severe burn after many hours on the beach. Poison control said to put her on a plastic sheet or shower curtain and slather her with plain yogurt. It took the 'heat' out of her body and saved her a trip to the ER.

But when someone over does when visiting us, we apply aloe on a sunburn. Usually it does the trick and keeps the blisters at bay if you can use it immediately and apply from time to time. The aloe is from our aloe plants, some of the blades are 3" wide and our front flower garden is full of them. A plastic bag full of blades accompanies them home and sometimes the whole plant. Every home needs some!

I keep a pot of them on the kitchen window ledge, great for any kitchen burn, garage nick, bug bites and more.
Old 08-31-2010, 04:42 AM

Crush some aspirin in water, soak a washcloth in it then apply to your face. The aspirin will reduce the swelling and release the pain at the same time. Heard about this from Dr Oz. forgot about it until just now, should have done it myself on my shoulders.
Old 08-31-2010, 04:55 AM

I always keep Cetaphil face wash in the fridge. ANY time someone gets a burn, they get a tepid shower, then slathered up with the cold Cetaphil "soap" leave it on like a lotion then put baby powder over it if its going to be covered by clothing. Wake up the next morning with a NICE tan, no more burn no more pain.

I SWEAR by this stuff, and so does anyone that lives around me that complains of a sunburn. lol
Old 08-31-2010, 06:16 AM

I know this sounds strange but we grew up using vinegar. It really works.
nanamoe
Old 08-31-2010, 06:49 AM

My skins is so sensitive that I can't use Noxema or vinegar! I keep aloe vera gel in the fridge and pat that on...constantly until the burn quits. Usually takes about 1/2 hour. I burned my fingers the other night, had blisters almost immediately, put some aloe in a small bowl and kept them in it for 1/2 hour. I still have the blisters but there is NO pain!!!
Old 08-31-2010, 07:17 AM

Use Tide powder. Enough to make the water feel slippery.A small mixing bowl size for the water. Mix it until the tide has dissolved. Then use a washcloth and don't ring it completely out and gently pat the the sunburn. Make sure your skin it really wet. Leave it on till till it sort of soaks in a little and then just lightly pat the sunburn with a very soft fluffy towel. Don't pull the skin. Just pat or blot. I swear this will work and it also takes the pain away. I oncd burned the palms of my hands trying to put a brush fire out. I tried to scoop up sand not knowing it was hot. Talk about pain. Try to sleep with your hands in a bowl of tide water. It is amazing. A very old little southern lady told me about this. It really works. Try and let me know what you think.
Old 08-31-2010, 07:18 AM

Aloe is the very best and the earlier you can get it on the better!
Old 08-31-2010, 09:19 AM

Bag Balm!....almost pure lanolin and will take the sting out of any burn...I get it in the local grange or at the baby supply of the local box store...It is also great for taming dry damaged hair. Just rub a bit into your hair, especially on the ends the night before you shampoo in the morning.
Old 08-31-2010, 10:34 AM

My idea won't help you this year, but next year get some March snow and melt it & place in a jar and stick on a pantry shelf until you burn yourself cooking or get sunburned. No I'm not loco because it really works. The burning is gone immediately and it goes away quickly. I have no idea if any other snow works.....haven't tried it. Just remember you heard it here the first time it works for you. I promise it works!!!!!!