Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I want a long arm quilting machine, which one? >

I want a long arm quilting machine, which one?

I want a long arm quilting machine, which one?

Old 10-05-2007, 09:46 AM

I am in the research stage of looking for a mid - long arm quilting machine and frame. Since this will be a life long decision (I'm not sure my husband will go for it once let alone twice if I don't like the first one). I must make the right decision. I tried a tin lizzy 18, that's when I realized I must have one. A lady at quilters guild has a HQ16 and loves it. She recommend only buying new (I think she knows someone who had a bad experience buying a used Gammil) I would appreciate any responces about this subject. Thanks so much!
Old 10-08-2007, 05:45 PM

Please look at the information on the A-1 Longarm quilting machine. I have tried all of them and this is one of the smoothest, easy handling machines I encountered. In addition, this comes with an optional computer driven unit. That, too, is one of the best I found.

The best way to make this size decision is to do web research first and then go to a large quilting show where the major vendors exhibit and test drive them all.

Do not necessarily make a snap decision and try them each several times over the length of the show. Then talk to them about leasing.

Best of luck
Old 10-26-2007, 06:20 AM

I own and APQS Millennium and have been full time longarming for nearly 4 years. I belong to several longarm groups where I'm sure every type of machine is owned by at least one member or more. What I can say is that everyone loves and defends their type of machine as great. Just like sewing machines, we all have personal preferences and love what we have.

Best advice I can give you is to TRY out every machine, preferably at a large show where you can go back and forth from machine to machine and compare, remembering what you liked about each one. They are not cheap and most of the time when repairs are needed the owner (that would be you) would be doing them yourself. Don't believe what they tell you about coming to your home and maintaining the machine. You don't want to wait days to have your machine fixed waiting on the repair man. You can't be afraid to open the manual and work on it.

If I were buying a new machine, here are some of the things I would look for:
*overall weight of the machine, how heavy is it to push around on the frame?
*length of the frame, 10-12-14 foot, what do you need?
*stitch length regulator, try it out, how well does it work, does it create a drag on the machine when running?
*thread cutter, do you want one, would you use it, does it cost extra, would you save anything if it didn't have one?
*adding an extended base, how easy is it to snap on and off, you will be using that frequently and want something easy. That is when you are using a ruler.
*what comes with it? templates, rulers, pantos, thread, bobbin winder (stand alone, not the one attached to the machine), hartley fence (worthless), training videos, hands on training, and so on. These things can run hundreds to thousands of dollars to add on your self later. And you will need them!
*does it have hydrolics? great feature and costly, raises the height of the machine which you will want to do to spare you body the pain of standing and bending in the same position for hours.
*financing

Good luck
Mindy
Old 10-26-2007, 05:49 PM

I have a longarm HQ16 it works well, I just received information today they are offering their new modle( computerized) for a limited time for $7,000.00 . I think you need to try the machines, if you can. I like mine however I did have alot of trouble with it when I first got it. The tensions have to be percise. It does avery good job. I haven,t used it much because i broke my leg and slow to heal but my friends are very pleased with it.
Old 12-10-2007, 09:42 AM

If you are looking for a mid-arm quilting machine and frame combo take a look at the Bailey

http://www.baileyssewingcenter.com/homequilter.html

This machine is a bit larger, offering a 13" and 15" machine, where Juki and Janome offer a 9" machine. What's not to like about having more space to quilt your design. Check it out.

They have Grace frames in their package deals. The 4th rail looks like a must have to keep the batting off the floor. I think the prices are good and getting a larger machine is a bonus.

June
Old 08-31-2010, 02:52 PM

Found the search button. Thanks so much for your help.