Black Walnut Trees

Old 09-02-2010, 02:38 PM

When I was a kid my mother used black walnuts in cookies all the time. It was my job to hull them and then they had to be dried, but nothing tastes any better in any recipe that calls for nuts.
Old 09-02-2010, 02:38 PM

Our farm is overloaded with black walnuts. Seems some years they are great, others aren't. Since they line the driveway (almost a mile long) I haven't noticed the producetion. I've had garbage cans filled with them in the past. The one thing I did find out are they are very hard to get the meat out of -- tried everything. ONE THING TO REMEMBER, if you have horses keep them away from the trees, sawdust or anything else, if not, you will have a very sick horse with problems with their feet.

Linda
Old 09-02-2010, 03:16 PM

Black Walnuts are a real pain to crack. I suspect that is the
main reason that English Walnuts have become so popular.

Taste is great though. I'd love to have one in my back yard.
Good luck with finding any in stores though.
Old 09-02-2010, 03:35 PM

Talk about a messy tree, locust trees are awful! The leave look like Boston ferns (pretty) but when they fall all the little leaves comr down and then the "ribs" of the leaves, but the worst is that they make these horrible "pods" They look like a wide vanilla bean and are about 10 to 12 inches long Just awful and when they fall on my deck they make this terrible clattering sound, which for some reason remonds me of cockroaches Ewee!
Old 09-02-2010, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by katiebear1
Talk about a messy tree, locust trees are awful! The leave look like Boston ferns (pretty) but when they fall all the little leaves comr down and then the "ribs" of the leaves, but the worst is that they make these horrible "pods" They look like a wide vanilla bean and are about 10 to 12 inches long Just awful and when they fall on my deck they make this terrible clattering sound, which for some reason remonds me of cockroaches Ewee!
These are also called cigar trees because of the shape of the pods.
Old 09-02-2010, 05:09 PM
Power Poster

We have one and it too looks terrible this year. It is loaded with nuts, but the bag worms took over the tree this year and all the leaves are gone...eaten by the worms and now the worm nest..whatever they are called are dropping...eeeewwwww.....its just disgusting. The nuts are so hard to shell that I pretty much just toss them back into the cow pasture and forget them.
Old 09-02-2010, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by Alice Woodhull
Black walnuts are one of the last trees to leaf out, thus one of the first to lose them in the fall. We have a big one in our front yard and got scads of nuts last year. My hubby spent a lot of time cracking them and picking them out during his TV time. They are good in cookies, candy, desserts, etc. We love them. My favorite is hickory and this is the year for a big crop of them. Most of these trees are every-other-year producers of a big crop, with a smaller crop the other year.
Hickory nuts ummm haven't had any since childhood in eastern Iowa. Really miss them!
Old 09-02-2010, 06:41 PM

Yes we have three and they look terrible. We were told it was the late freeze we had which also did a number on apple trees, blueberries, and a few other trees. We also had a lot of Fire Blight in the area this year.

Good thing with the walnut trees is they should return to normal next year providing no late frost. We were also told to not cut out the bad looking parts as they should revive also.
Old 09-02-2010, 06:54 PM

Boil the outer hull and strain and use the water to dye fabric. Works well.
Old 09-02-2010, 07:07 PM

We live in a small woods that has a lot of black walnut trees. They seem to cycle every other year with a crop of nuts. When the summers are harsh like this year, they may skip an extra year to save water. Ours look pretty bad, the last part of the summer has been scorching here, and nothing is doing very well. I'm allergic to tree nuts, but I do use the cast offs from the wildlife to make fun stamps. (Washed a little first)

Hubby wants to make walnut stain for furniture, I think that would be neat to have a couple pieces in the house made from our own trees. :)