Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What's the nicest thing anyone has ever done for you? >

What's the nicest thing anyone has ever done for you?

What's the nicest thing anyone has ever done for you?

Old 08-30-2010, 09:37 AM

One act of kindness that sticks out right now was a couple of years ago. I was still new to my work and I was in a hard place at the time. I barely would make rent and had no extra money. It was the day before thankgiving and I came into work to find an employee stopped me and took me into an office and showed me a box of food that someone(s) put together for me. It was an entire thankgiving dinner in there and a turkey in the walkin freezer. I to this day don't know who did this, but I'm internly grateful.
Old 08-30-2010, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by aneternalpoet
When God sees us hurting, He sends us people.. Today, more than you will ever know, Eddie, He has sent me great encouragement in just seeing your beautiful work, AND seeing how you think of others as you share your posts here.. I can only say that, when I can't sew for health, or financial reasons (stemming from both ) , I know I can come back here and look at your work, and all the other beautiful stuff that other quilters have done, too.. One day, when I win the lottery ( haha ), I will have so much fabric to create with, my poor mind would never be the same again! yes, today, I am sharing that the best thing someone has done for me , just for today, is seeing your creativity, and enjoyment of what you do. Thank you,, Eddie..
What a nice thing to say! :) I, too, draw encouragement from so many here. Their beautiful work, and their beautiful spirits, inspires me daily.
Old 08-30-2010, 02:43 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Eddie
Originally Posted by aneternalpoet
When God sees us hurting, He sends us people.. Today, more than you will ever know, Eddie, He has sent me great encouragement in just seeing your beautiful work, AND seeing how you think of others as you share your posts here.. I can only say that, when I can't sew for health, or financial reasons (stemming from both ) , I know I can come back here and look at your work, and all the other beautiful stuff that other quilters have done, too.. One day, when I win the lottery ( haha ), I will have so much fabric to create with, my poor mind would never be the same again! yes, today, I am sharing that the best thing someone has done for me , just for today, is seeing your creativity, and enjoyment of what you do. Thank you,, Eddie..
What a nice thing to say! :) I, too, draw encouragement from so many here. Their beautiful work, and their beautiful spirits, inspires me daily.
Hi Eddie!! You are truly a joy to this board. Of course you make beautiful quilts but your spirit is even more so.
Thanks for this wonderful thread!!! :D
Old 08-30-2010, 03:14 PM

What a great thread, thank you Eddie for starting it. I have so many "nice things" that I was trying to pick out just one, well maybe two.
Years ago I worked with a woman that got me back into church. I've never been able to thank her. It was her quiet Christian spirit that made me realize that GOD could still love a screw up like me.
Second was the suprise birthday party my DH planned for my 60th year. He got my DM and several DB's here from out of state. Many, many friends. I could not believe how hard he worked and how everyone was able to keep the secret. One of my best friends was responsible for getting me out of the house so everyone could get here. She told me later she could not be held responsible for all the lies she had to tell.
There are so many more stories, but this isn't about me. I can't wait to hear the rest of the stories waiting to be told.
Old 08-30-2010, 03:40 PM

Thanks Eddie, You truly are a blessings to all Your spirit touches.

As some of You know my newest foster child,Ruthie,is 3 yrs old. We took her to the library last week. she picked out most of the books she wanted. I picked out GOODNIGHT MOON.
of all the books...goodnight moon is what she asks for everynight .My own children grew up listening to that book being read to them .I just had to throw that in.

now.....

Many yrs ago as a youth group counselor I was at a meeting that the question was asked....'' What was the best thing that happened to You this past week '' I was in a difficult marriage and I was on crutches and dealing with a very painful hip. As much as I thought ,I couldn't come up with any good thing that had happened to me all that week.

the next day I received a beautiful arrangement of flowers from my dear girlfriend who was the leader of the youth group . I was deeply touched and it took me awhile to stop crying with joy that she thought that much of me.
Old 08-30-2010, 03:50 PM

When I was 20 yers old, my dad was severly injured in a combine accident. I stayed with my younger siblings on the farm and mom stayed with dad at the hospital. It was November and winter was comming fast. There was 145 acres of corn to be harvested. My marriage was on the rocks and my two kids and I had moved in with mom and dad. Things were bad. Early on a Saturday morning, 6 combines drove in, followed by several tractors and wagons. The neighbors had decided that today was the day they would finish our harvest. They had made arrangements for the co-op to stay open so they could haul the grain to town for storage. Each wife of each man had sent a covered dish to feed these men. I called my aunt and my cousins to help serve the meal. My sister and I worked in the house while the men picked corn. Farmers help each other in the bad times without asking for anything in return. It gave us hope. My dad eventually got well. I still can't think of that morning without a few tears of gratitude. Iowa is a wonderful place.
Old 09-01-2010, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by maryb119
When I was 20 yers old, my dad was severly injured in a combine accident. I stayed with my younger siblings on the farm and mom stayed with dad at the hospital. It was November and winter was comming fast. There was 145 acres of corn to be harvested. My marriage was on the rocks and my two kids and I had moved in with mom and dad. Things were bad. Early on a Saturday morning, 6 combines drove in, followed by several tractors and wagons. The neighbors had decided that today was the day they would finish our harvest. They had made arrangements for the co-op to stay open so they could haul the grain to town for storage. Each wife of each man had sent a covered dish to feed these men. I called my aunt and my cousins to help serve the meal. My sister and I worked in the house while the men picked corn. Farmers help each other in the bad times without asking for anything in return. It gave us hope. My dad eventually got well. I still can't think of that morning without a few tears of gratitude. Iowa is a wonderful place.
MARYB

what a wonderful story. It did my heart good to read it . Thanks for sharing .
Old 09-02-2010, 06:41 PM

I think that I've told this before, but here it is (again?)

Many years ago I was a single mother, traveling from CA to Texas so the kids could see their grandmother and grandfather, probably grandpa for the last time. My car broke down in southern CA, near a salt lake, and with dark coming on I was nervous and worried. Way before cell phones and no houses near. An old gentleman stopped and tried to start the car but couldn't, tried to get me to go with him to his home. Since I was a woman with 2 little girls, I refused, so that old black gentleman went home and brought back Mamma. She acted like my own mother and ordered me into the car with the kids, left hubby with my car and took us home. She fed us and let the kids nap and talked to me like a guiding angel. She also gave me a big container of stuff to eat later, and Papa didn't even charge me for fixing the car. I've always been ashamed that I lost their names and addresses so that I could repay them, but I've tried to pay it forward in their memories. I'll always remember that sweet old couple.
Old 09-02-2010, 07:05 PM

When I was 37 and pregnant with my youngest daughter they did the routine blood tests and found I had a 1 in 72 chance of having a downs baby so they insisted that I have an amniocentesis. I went to a dr to have that done and to make a long story short, she ended up severing a nerve and I lost the feeling in my abdomen for months and the amnio was never finished. So I found a new dr and he wanted me to go to Denver (then a 6 hour drive from Grand Jct) to have it done. Well, we had no money, the clutch was out in our only car and didn't know what to do. A kind friend gave us a check for $1,000 to help with the situation. Of course my DD was born alright and I'll never forget the help this lady gave us. She since moved away and I lost track of her.

And then about 3 years ago we were in the middle of bankruptcy and had not one dime for Christmas presents for the kids. DH went to work one day and there was an envelope with $300 in it. We still don't know who gave it to him but we had a nice Christmas that year.

It is so refreshing to see so many stories of kindness in this world that isn't so kind anymore.
Old 09-02-2010, 07:26 PM

There have been so many examples of Earth Angels in my life and I feel truly blessed but one that stands out was when I was a recently divorced 31 y/o with a young daughter. I was so heartbroken by the divorce that I wanted to leave TX, where my husband and I had lived and I was willing to leave my good paying job with a company that I'd been with for 7 years. I went and talked with the manager and told him of my decision to move to CA. He listened patiently and then said that he would put me on a 6 month leave so that I could keep my medical benefits and that if things did not work out for me in CA, I could come back and have my job back. At the time I was young and perhaps arrogant and I was sure that I would not return but I said I appreciated it all. I did move to CA where I eventually found a job and raised my daughter, but as I got older I realized what a huge risk I took and what a kind act of generosity I had been given. If anything had happened to my dtr or I, I would have had medical benefits and my job back!! I lost track of that man who was my manager but I still think about him (more now as I am older and maybe a little wiser) and send my prayers of gratitude for him in my life at a moment when I was so emotionally vulnerable and immature.