Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 09-03-2010, 07:54 PM

[quote=BoJangles]
Originally Posted by Miz Johnny

Now then--here are some pictures of the machine I just sold--another parlor cabinet--I just have to make some room. :-/ Sold it to a nice lady, so it's going to a good home.[/quote

Miz Johnny is that Franklin a 3/4 size machine? It looks shorter than a regular size in that picture?

Nancy
It was a Franklin full size; probably just my impressive photography skills!!
Old 09-04-2010, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by Katia
I got a pretty little green Singer today at a yard sale. I also got a bunch of sewing stuff, thread, needles, all that. I had fun sorting it all out form the two sewing boxes.

I got the Singer from a sweet little lady, 92 years old. She said she had kept it serviced and it ran great, and for only , how can you lose? Well, it was pristine clean on the inside, not even any dust. So I wiped her down and oiled her up and she runs nicely. But, and this kinda matters, she does not sew very well. I played with the tension and did what I know how to do. Threaded and re- threaded and changed needles. I got it to stitch finally for about two inches, then poof, back to messed up. It looks fairly good on top, but the bottom is all loopy. If I tighten the tension, that makes it worse. Any ideas? Oh, it is a model 337.
Could the bobbin be in with the thread coming off in the wrong direction? Do you have the needle in right and threading in the right direction? Some of these have a tiny little screw in the bobbin area that as a last resort you can use to adjust the bottom tension when adjusting the top doesn't help. Good luck, she sure is beautiful!
Old 09-04-2010, 07:31 AM
Banned

Now then--here are some pictures of the machine I just sold--another parlor cabinet--I just have to make some room. :-/ Sold it to a nice lady, so it's going to a good home.
That is a wonderful Franklin Johnny, the decals and the cabinet are in great condition. You do not see many of these around much less in the Parlor cabinet because of how much they were where they were new. And to find a Franklin with all of the decals is a feat also!!

Beautiful machine!

Billy
Old 09-04-2010, 11:45 AM

Katia,
Here's threading instructions for a machine very much like yours. If the bobbin isn't winding evenly it will cause stitching problems too.
http://www.sewusa.com/Threading_Diag...ng_diagram.htm
Sharon W.
Old 09-04-2010, 02:48 PM

Billy, I ahave not sent pic of the old car but did find a freebee. A treadle called New Path Finder. It is a long bobbin type. I think it wil clean up nice. As soon as I find the serial number I let you know. My wife is on a antique binge and my car is not important at this time. I will try to send pics if she lets me. Glenn
Old 09-04-2010, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Now then--here are some pictures of the machine I just sold--another parlor cabinet--I just have to make some room. :-/ Sold it to a nice lady, so it's going to a good home.
That is a wonderful Franklin Johnny, the decals and the cabinet are in great condition. You do not see many of these around much less in the Parlor cabinet because of how much they were where they were new. And to find a Franklin with all of the decals is a feat also!!

Beautiful machine!

Billy
It really was a very nice machine, and sewed a fine stitch. I used it to make quilt blocks several years ago, and haven't used it since.
Every year I have to sell at least one just to fit the Christmas tree in the living room; I figure I'm just getting a head start by selling this one!!
Old 09-04-2010, 04:34 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Glenn
Billy, I ahave not sent pic of the old car but did find a freebee. A treadle called New Path Finder. It is a long bobbin type. I think it wil clean up nice. As soon as I find the serial number I let you know. My wife is on a antique binge and my car is not important at this time. I will try to send pics if she lets me. Glenn
:lol: :lol: I just blew rootbeer out of my nose when I read this Glenn! I am married to so I am feeling your pain about the pictures LOL!!

Billy
Old 09-04-2010, 04:51 PM

Billy and Glenn,
Now you two know ~ Behind every great man is a great woman!
<grin> Hope you're having a great weekend.

Judy
Old 09-04-2010, 05:03 PM

Hubby & I went to the Antique Show at Charlotte today and four sewing machines followed us home. lol

Two Wilcox & Gibbs (waiting on NB to let us know what years they are), a 1941 Montgomery Ward crinkle, and my favorite a 1935 Singer 99K with the knee bar.

Pictures to follow tomorrow after church.

Root Beer burns coming out the nose, I do not drink anything when I read this forum, just for that very reason.

Blessings to all,
Sandi
Old 09-04-2010, 05:19 PM
Banned

I might have a possible score on my hands. You know how I have been looking for a vintage long arm machine and found a Singer 96-2 at a shop today. I am going to see if they want to do some trading with me and see if I can get it that way.

It is a 1912 Singer industrial and it was made for sewing clothing and cloaks. So it would be at home in my treadle in the shop. It is a rotary machine and the bed is 18" long and would be perfect for quilting.

Here is what the machine looks like....

Billy
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-111358.jpe
Views:	411
Size:	108.6 KB
ID:	111363