Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Tutorials
Idea - Large Pressing Board >

Idea - Large Pressing Board

Idea - Large Pressing Board

Old 09-04-2010, 01:13 PM

I've new to this group and have been only 'stalking' up to now. I love this idea, having made mine a few years ago. I used the special batting made just for ironing boards. It comes in 2 widths and can withstand the heat and steam of an iron over an extended period of time. Also, I covered mine with gridded flannel, making it easier to 'line up' seams and blocks without distortion when pressing.
Old 09-04-2010, 02:06 PM

I remember my mom making her ironingboard covers out of an old cotton sheet. She had a larger than normal ironing board which was made for her by her grandfather.
Old 09-04-2010, 03:16 PM
np3
Power Poster

Nice tute.
Old 09-04-2010, 03:33 PM

Thanks you so much. This is exactly what I've been thinking about and wanting. It's so nice that quilters share.
Old 09-04-2010, 03:40 PM

Welcome to the group from Murrells Inlet, SC Lots of smart people on this site and always willing to share
Old 09-04-2010, 04:02 PM

Thank you Michael for your tutorial. I made one of these for my sister this weekend. It just fit in her car for a 4 hour drive home. She was tickled pink to have it.

If the maker feels extra handy, here is something they can do to 'fit' the new pressing board to their folding ironing board: when you are finished covering the new pressing 'board', lay it top-down on an even surface. Fold the ironing board you intend to put the pressing board on and lay it top-down evenly in the middle of the new pressing board.

I drew an outline of the ironing board on the underside of the new pressing board. I used the outline to position three cleats or long strips of wood outside the outline. This will act like a lip or edge to keep the pressing board from shifting while you press large objects. I used scraps of 1x3/4 lumber or any such sized scraps that are handy.

One other thing one might do is use two layers to cover the batting. Staple on a plain muslin layer, then staple on a second layer of what ever color fabric you like. This way, when the fabric surface wears badly, you can pull the staples and still have the first layer of muslin cover everything and keep it neat while you put on a new top layer of fabric.

You guys are great for offering so many helpful ideas!
Thanks again for all your ideas and help.

Aardie.
Old 09-04-2010, 04:49 PM

What a great idea , also a smaller model the same
size as your cutting mat , to take to classes
would be great.
Old 09-04-2010, 05:57 PM
Power Poster

Michael. Thank you so much this is something I think we all would love to have and your tute was wonderful.
Old 09-04-2010, 06:08 PM

thanks for posting this-my husband will love making it-now if I just had more room....
Old 09-04-2010, 06:31 PM

I made one out of the bottom piece (wood) of an old crib that my daughter found out for garbage. It has a lip on the bottom, so I cut the end off of an ironing board and it fits over the top. Easy to fold, and I love that I too can iron a piece of fabric selvage to selvage.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-111405.jpe
Views:	164
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	111410