Featherweight price

Old 09-04-2010, 12:03 PM

Agreed Nanaquilter,
That makes it smell GOOD!!!! Ooooo Surf came out with dryer sheets over here not to long ago. I might throw one in my case. Doesn't smell at all now, but a good smell is even better. ;-)
Old 09-04-2010, 12:24 PM

If you want it and can afford it I'd say go for it. If you are wanting to buy it and resell it at a profit you probably don't want it. I paid $350.00 for mine on ebay a few years ago and I am very pleased with it. All in the eye of the beholder I guess.
Old 09-04-2010, 12:30 PM

The other day i saw an white fw go for $219....very nice & with manual, extra bobbins and a couple attachments. Was surprised it didn't go higher!
Old 09-04-2010, 12:32 PM

me too dixiechunck....but w/o costing me my grandkids! LOL
Old 09-04-2010, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by merryhare
The original cases are notorious for a "lovely" ugh smell. I would prefer a reproduction case. I have seen them and bought them for $225 and up. You just have to keep your eyes open. Most are in very good condition since this machine is very easy to maintain.
I own a lot of featherweights, and most of them come with some odor. It is easy to remedy this problem and the older cases have foot pedal clips or trays for storage depending on the year it was made, later ones have the footpedal clip. Over $300.00 for one it should be in top cosmetic condition, or VERY RARE, such as one of the first 5000 machines they made.
Old 09-04-2010, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by Colbaltjars62
Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
Unless it's a 221 white or 222 I think it's kinda high.
I gotta agree with Sue, make sure that it works too. Also a reproduction case drops the price as well. Wait for "the machine for you" you'll find it, maybe not today or tomorrow but it's out there. There was one here in Portland a week ago for $150.00. Everything was there from what I could see, it was a great deal but I already own one. I transfered the link to the board here and noone ever commented. Hope one of us got it.
Also not all FW's came with a scrolled faceplate. It does not affect how the machine works. You can have two FW's side by side made the same day with consecutive serial numbers and they can each have a different faceplate. The Singer site says that the plates were dumped into bins and when it started running low they would dump the next run in it. You can also by aftermarket/salvaged faceplates for small $. Just need to look.
Good Luck, hope you find one!! :lol:
:XD:
The scrolled faceplates were on the older machines. The simpler lined ones I believe started in the mid-late 40's or early 50's. Do you research; ask for the serial number and see approximately what year and where it was manufactured.
I read somewhere on line that the scroll ones were discontinued during World War 2. So from that time on Singer did make the scroll faces. Also I read the cases made in US were made with a glue that smells so bad, but the cases made in Europe did not have the same smelly glue.
I bought my FW on Ebay for $199 and that included shipping. It was made in 1941 and it works like a charm. I love it and recently bought the big sister - the Singer 301a. It is also a FW but a few pounds heavier and also has a larger bed, slant needle and feed dog drops. It should arrive on Tues....cant wait. Remember these FW's are made with metal gears...that is why they keep on sewing after all these years!
Old 09-04-2010, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by MiMi in Lutz
Originally Posted by Colbaltjars62
Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
Unless it's a 221 white or 222 I think it's kinda high.
I gotta agree with Sue, make sure that it works too. Also a reproduction case drops the price as well. Wait for "the machine for you" you'll find it, maybe not today or tomorrow but it's out there. There was one here in Portland a week ago for $150.00. Everything was there from what I could see, it was a great deal but I already own one. I transfered the link to the board here and noone ever commented. Hope one of us got it.
Also not all FW's came with a scrolled faceplate. It does not affect how the machine works. You can have two FW's side by side made the same day with consecutive serial numbers and they can each have a different faceplate. The Singer site says that the plates were dumped into bins and when it started running low they would dump the next run in it. You can also by aftermarket/salvaged faceplates for small $. Just need to look.
Good Luck, hope you find one!! :lol:
:XD:
The scrolled faceplates were on the older machines. The simpler lined ones I believe started in the mid-late 40's or early 50's. Do you research; ask for the serial number and see approximately what year and where it was manufactured.
I read somewhere on line that the scroll ones were discontinued during World War 2. So from that time on Singer did make the scroll faces. Also I read the cases made in US were made with a glue that smells so bad, but the cases made in Europe did not have the same smelly glue.
I bought my FW on Ebay for $199 and that included shipping. It was made in 1941 and it works like a charm. I love it and recently bought the big sister - the Singer 301a. It is also a FW but a few pounds heavier and also has a larger bed, slant needle and feed dog drops. It should arrive on Tues....cant wait. Remember these FW's are made with metal gears...that is why they keep on sewing after all these years!
I didn't realize that the 301A was a FW also. I have one and I love it. I need to get it out so I can use it. Only have so much space though.
Old 09-04-2010, 03:35 PM

I've had mine for a couple of years and paid $525 for it. In So Cal., they seem to be in high demand and go for big bucks. Just make sure it works. I love mine and take it everywhere with me. You will love yours too. If I remember right, mine is from the 1950's and didn't have most of the attachments. Best of luck
Verna in So. Cal.
Old 09-04-2010, 03:57 PM

I have a 221 featherweight, originally owned by my sister, a Home Ec teacher. I have two excellent sewing machine but for quilting, I usually use my singer. I would never sell it for that price.
Old 09-04-2010, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by patdesign
The original cases are notorious for a "lovely" ugh smell. I would prefer a reproduction case. I have seen them and bought them for $225 and up. You just have to keep your eyes open. Most are in very good condition since this machine is very easy to maintain.
I own a lot of featherweights, and most of them come with some odor. It is easy to remedy this problem and the older cases have foot pedal clips or trays for storage depending on the year it was made, later ones have the footpedal clip. Over $300.00 for one it should be in top cosmetic condition, or VERY RARE, such as one of the first 5000 machines they made.

Pat I gotta ask.
You teaching that Pug to sew? Cuz that FW looks just about big enough for it to sew on. :lol: :lol: