Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Machine Quilting Help >

Machine Quilting Help

Machine Quilting Help

Old 09-05-2010, 05:55 AM

I have decided that I am going to teach myself how to machine quilt. Does anyone have any ideas on how to start this, or any good books that will make it easy to learn? I am so envious of some of the quilting I've seen here that I really want to learn. Besides, my hand quilting (which I will never forsake completely) takes so long to do that when I want a quilt made a bit quicker I'd like to know how to use the machine. Any tips and advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-05-2010, 06:00 AM
tj

here is a great site to learn fm quilting http://www.daystyledesigns.com/index.htm

hope it helps
Old 09-05-2010, 06:01 AM

There are lot of free vidios out there now. Do a Google & you see them. When I started in 1996, you had to buy these.

http://www.google.com/search?q=begin...=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&rlz=1I7ADBF&prmd=v&source=univ&tbs=vid:1&tbo=u&ei=SKKDTOOUFYLGlQf1teinDg&sa=X&oi=video_result_group&ct=title&resnum=3&ved=0CDMQqwQwAg
Old 09-05-2010, 07:55 AM

Ooh, I like the "DayStyle" site! Thanks for the link.
Old 09-05-2010, 09:32 AM

PRACTICE!!!! I just started quilting in last Feb so I am a newbe but I am doing my own maching quilting. My quilting teacher said to practice every day and also to draw patterns with pencil and paper so that your brain will remenber the motions. Also if the machine is too fast for you when you put the peddle to the metal then put a small block of wood on the back side of the peddle to make it not go down so far and therefore not so fast. Start small like with wall hangings. I am making several 30 x 30 wall hangings that I am FMQ and having a really fun time. I have done stars, vines with leaves, meandering as well as SID. The fanciers stitches will come later. However sometimes the simpler the better. Also one of my LQS offers use of their longarm for a reasonable fee after lessons. I am going to check that out.
Old 09-05-2010, 09:36 AM

I agree, Leah Day has some wonderful youtube videos, here is one that i used when i first started.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-d_cLN-ayE
Old 09-05-2010, 11:26 AM
Power Poster

Harriet Hargrave's book is an excellent resource to have on hand, with good explanations. Here is a link to the current edition:
http://www.amazon.com/Heirloom-Machi.../dp/1571202366
Old 09-05-2010, 11:35 AM

I second the motion for Harriet Hargraves books. Also, MACHINE QUILTING BY DIANE GAUDINSKY is most excellant.
Old 09-05-2010, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by bigsister63
PRACTICE!!!! I just started quilting in last Feb so I am a newbe but I am doing my own maching quilting. My quilting teacher said to practice every day and also to draw patterns with pencil and paper so that your brain will remenber the motions. Also if the machine is too fast for you when you put the peddle to the metal then put a small block of wood on the back side of the peddle to make it not go down so far and therefore not so fast. Start small like with wall hangings. I am making several 30 x 30 wall hangings that I am FMQ and having a really fun time. I have done stars, vines with leaves, meandering as well as SID. The fanciers stitches will come later. However sometimes the simpler the better. Also one of my LQS offers use of their longarm for a reasonable fee after lessons. I am going to check that out.
What a great attitude! Post pictures of your work! I'm sure a lot of us might be inspired to start FMQ.

FREE Quilting Newsletter