Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What it really costs to make a quilt >

What it really costs to make a quilt

What it really costs to make a quilt

Old 09-05-2010, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by Alondra
If there is still any doubt in anyone's mind about the worth of quilts, ask yourself if your cousin, the architect, would design a home for you without charging you? How about your brother, the lawyer? Would he draw up a contract or make a will for you for free? How about your best friend's hubby, the mechanic... does he fix your car for free? Don't think so! Just because people don't appreciate the time and fabric cost doesn't mean that we can't educate them. <G> Somehow, I don't think men have this problem. Am I right?
Funny you should mention it, but my son owns an engine shop and my sister thinks he should only charge her for parts! She is like "It not like he is that busy now , what with the economy what it is. I don,t know why he can't get my car in to be fixed!
Old 09-05-2010, 05:18 PM

Hi Jan. I recognized your picture on this board as a fellow P&P member. I have been a member of this group for a few months and love the good tips posted here. Hope to see you soon at a P&P meeting. Hope you have had a good summer.
Regards,
Beverly Mann
Old 09-05-2010, 05:34 PM

Have been told they should sell high by some folks, just not sure where that is ?? :) I know most undervalue what goes into them, and the time. Funny some will pay big $$ for tires, non stock, $$ to go to a pro game. those last for a very short time. In comparison, Who knows? :)
Old 09-05-2010, 08:43 PM
Banned

I need a copy, but don,t have ink for the printer. God bless.
Old 09-05-2010, 08:47 PM

I can relate to that... my printer cartridges don't last any time at all. If you copy it to a Word document and save it, then you can print it out whenever you get new cartridges. They say the printer manufacturers make over 400% more from cartridges than they do on the printers! What's wrong with this picture?
Old 09-05-2010, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by katiebear1
The problem is a lot of people(read: family) want me to make quilts for them to give as gifts. I have already made quilts for everyone for their Birthdays. My sister wanted me to make 2 quilts for her goddaughters. I said materials would be around 125 to 150 . I was going to charge $1.25 per hour for labor. Well she hit the roof...expected me to do it for free and she thought the materials were too high. She wanted twin sized quilts.
why don't you get them to buy the fabric and then charge them to make the quilts. Maybe if you get some one else to give a quote too, your family will know how expensive every thing is to buy. That is why I only make one per person and any baby quilts will still be alright for a teen to show off to his/her friends,
Old 09-06-2010, 11:44 AM
Dee

If you don't do the art, you don't appreciate the love, labor, fabric and art that goes into a quilt. It gets very frustrating when people tell you, oh thats so expensive. Only a couple yards of material. That would be easy to do. Yet they wouldn't know or bother to do the first steps. Quilting is an art.
Old 09-07-2010, 08:08 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Originally Posted by jitkaau
In Australia, the average price per metre is $21 - $26...and people still say,"Why is your quilt so expensive?You only make it whilst you are watching TV anyway!"
Yeah, and a landscape/portrait painter just stands around while doing his work, too, I suppose.
You just can't grow sense in some people!

Jan in VA "Just because you don't value my work doesn't mean I have to follow suit."
Old 04-07-2011, 10:25 AM

Yes and don't forget the time one spends shopping and looking for just the right things you need. Time and gas money.

I would never sell a quilt, I give for gifts or give to the needy.

it is like any craft item . People think that your time and efforts don't matter, they want it buy for what they think it cost you. altho they really don't have a clue what the cost is.
Old 05-27-2011, 05:11 AM

I truly agree with your comments about a store bought quilt. A thought just came to me. Don't know if this is a stupid idea or not, but might eventually try it. I recently bought a package of polyester batting 120 inches x 120 inches. $21.99 plus taxes plus my time and transportation costs.

So, and this is the stupid idea. Why not make a top from your own pattern, purchase one of those crappy quilts at a store and the fabric for the batting, wouldn't it cost much less and if quilted properly would be ok. Not counting time, the difference could be about $50 less for the store bought quilt versus the batting, etc. method.

Am I thinking out of the top of my head or just plain crazy?