Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing Rooms - Smart Ideas >

Sewing Rooms - Smart Ideas

Sewing Rooms - Smart Ideas

Old 09-08-2010, 03:45 AM

Originally Posted by barbgooch
Originally Posted by chamby
Okay, I need an idea for the lighting in my sewing room. I want to have better lighting from the ceiling. I had put up track lites. BAD IDEA!!! This causes a lot shadows. I have two floor lamps already. I would like to replace the ceiling light. What does everyone else have as a ceiling light? I am only asking about the ceiling lighting not other lamps please.
My sewing room is in a dungeon-type basement room that has no windows, so I really depend on the ceiling fixtures to give me lots of light. I have a 4-tube flourescent fixture above my table, and two other places in my sewing room. And if you use full spectrum tubes, it should be bright enough without casting shadows. Then I have a moveable clamp light that I swing over my sewing machine for extra spot lighting.
Thank you so much for your answer. Are you talking about the shop type light or the long kitchen type with the cover over the bulbs?
Old 09-08-2010, 03:58 AM

I think I had asked this question just a few months ago, maybe try a search for lighting...just last night we picked up a wrap around flourescent fixture for my large sewing rm. { I am trying to avoid the shadows} It has 4 48" bulbs, the description on the lite bulb box says " full spectrum-simulates natural light", color spectrum should be 4100 k or above for better lighting. The bulbs lasts forever so replacing them shouldn't be costly.
Old 09-08-2010, 06:42 AM

[quote=chamby
Thank you so much for your answer. Are you talking about the shop type light or the long kitchen type with the cover over the bulbs?[/quote]

I'm talking about the fixtures that have the plastic light diffusing covers over the entire fixtures, if that's what you are thinking. The fixtures are the same for both. Shop lights don't have the covers. As craftiladi mentioned in the post after mine, you can get full spectrum bulbs that would help with the shadowing.
Old 09-08-2010, 07:13 AM

I am working on a sewing room too. Lighting has been the topic of the past two days and this topic sounds like I wrote it. My room is downstairs, 12' x 12' without factoring in the closet and has one small window. I was looking at light fixtures just yesterday. My husband thinks we should put one in that is just like you described ....4, 4' bulbs with a cover....we have one in the kitchen like that and it is bright. I didn't know there were other bulbs for less shadows...Thanks for all the info!
Have I mentioned I love this Message board? :-)
Old 09-08-2010, 08:58 AM

I love this idea! I've been trying to think of how to put my batting so I could roll it out. I thought I would have to have something custom made, but this is awesome! Thank you so much for the great idea.
Old 09-08-2010, 11:54 AM

Thanks barbgooch and craftiladi for your input on my lighting situation. I have given my DH this information. I will be changing this over soon. I have bookmarked this so I do not forget what to use. thanks again
Old 09-09-2010, 09:01 AM

[quote=barbgooch]
Thank you so much for your answer. Are you talking about the shop type light or the long kitchen type with the cover over the bulbs?[/quote

I'm talking about the fixtures that have the plastic light diffusing covers over the entire fixtures, if that's what you are thinking. The fixtures are the same for both. Shop lights don't have the covers. As craftiladi mentioned in the post after mine, you can get full spectrum bulbs that would help with the shadowing.
Yes Barb thats exactly what I got, the defused cover. Its not up yet so I can't comment on the results yet, but I will try to remember to come back to this thread after its installed.
Old 09-10-2010, 04:34 PM

I found a pretty white 4 ft shelf about 6 inches wide with a rod right below it at a garage sale. The rod was removeable. My DH put some cup hooks into the rod about 8 in apart. Then I bought some large metal rings (about 4 inches or so) that can be unlocked (with the snap hook). I slipped a few my cutting rulers on each of these these hooks all across the rod. They are all in plain view...all I have to do is choose the ring, remove my ruler, and put it back up. Plus, I have the top shelf for storage of other sewing necessities....worked great for me.
Old 09-11-2010, 05:24 PM

[quote=craftiladi]
Thank you so much for your answer. Are you talking about the shop type light or the long kitchen type with the cover over the bulbs?[/quote

Yes Barb thats exactly what I got, the defused cover. Its not up yet so I can't comment on the results yet, but I will try to remember to come back to this thread after its installed.
Ok light is up and I love it. If the person putting the light up for you will hold the light vertical or horizontal so you can see which way cast the least shadows before bolting it into the ceiling that is very helpful.
Old 09-12-2010, 03:25 AM

[quote=craftiladi]
Originally Posted by craftiladi

Ok light is up and I love it. If the person putting the light up for you will hold the light vertical or horizontal so you can see which way cast the least shadows before bolting it into the ceiling that is very helpful.
Big favor please. Could you please take and pic of you light and post so that I may see for reference? Thanks so much.
Charlene