Greetings from Australia

Greetings from Australia

Old 09-10-2010, 05:32 PM
Power Poster

Hello and welcome from Boston, Ma in the USA
Old 09-10-2010, 06:09 PM

Hello from Tennessee
Old 09-10-2010, 06:58 PM

Thank you so much for your reply. I did manage to Google "Australian Fabrics" and found some with various ethnic motifs (aboriginal designs). I just wondered if you have access to locally-produced fabrics. Here in the states we have numerous companies who design and produce fabrics. They are usually quite expensive for my taste so I admire them from afar! LOL The Australian fabrics ran something like $9.95/yd. (U.S.) Do you ever get fabrics from America?
Old 09-10-2010, 06:59 PM

Waving high and wide from middle America.
Old 09-10-2010, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by msuewhite
I just wondered if you have access to locally-produced fabrics. Here in the states we have numerous companies who design and produce fabrics. Do you ever get fabrics from America?
As far as I'm aware we don't produce fabrics in Australia (others on the board may know different.) I buy 100% cotton quilting fabrics from my local fabric store at anything from $5 - $15 per metre. I try jump in when they are having a sale to keep the costs down. I think we get a lot of US brands here. I have recently purchased some David Textiles fabrics.

Country of manufacture for fabrics I can get locally is China, Korea or India mostly. Many Aussies on the board do buy online, from America but delivery charges mean we have to make it a big order to justify the cost :-)

You would not believe the cost of cotton batting here. SO expensive.
Old 09-10-2010, 08:10 PM

Howdy from Texas. Good to have you.
Old 09-10-2010, 10:38 PM

I don't know of any locally made patchwork fabrics but there are some really nice Australian design fabrics produced in New Zealand.
http://www.kiwiquilts.co.nz/

Originally Posted by mosaicthinking
Originally Posted by msuewhite
I just wondered if you have access to locally-produced fabrics. Here in the states we have numerous companies who design and produce fabrics. Do you ever get fabrics from America?
As far as I'm aware we don't produce fabrics in Australia (others on the board may know different.) I buy 100% cotton quilting fabrics from my local fabric store at anything from $5 - $15 per metre. I try jump in when they are having a sale to keep the costs down. I think we get a lot of US brands here. I have recently purchased some David Textiles fabrics.

Country of manufacture for fabrics I can get locally is China, Korea or India mostly. Many Aussies on the board do buy online, from America but delivery charges mean we have to make it a big order to justify the cost :-)

You would not believe the cost of cotton batting here. SO expensive.
Old 09-10-2010, 10:39 PM

Hello, and welcome from another neighbour in Nth NSW.

Guess we could could have our own quilt gathering with all the Aussie members of this board.
Old 09-10-2010, 11:50 PM

Hi..and welcome from...the Gold Coast :D Whereabout are you? I'm at Highland Park (Nerang)
Old 09-11-2010, 03:53 AM

Apologies for not replying sooner. Still trying to source Australian made fabrics and as soon as I do I shall let you know. There are some Australian aborigine type prints available but they vary between $21 to $25 Aust per metre. So very expensive. Sometimes they can be cheaper but then sometimes the quality is not as good.

I do purchase fabric from USA mainly from Hancocks, Z & S Fabrics and Shabby Fabrics. The exchange rate is quite good at present so even with postage etc it is still cheaper than buying fabric in Australia!