Black Walnut Trees

Old 09-02-2010, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by Bobbielinks
We have several and its looks like its going to be a good year for the walnuts.

Ours always are the first trees to loose their leaves (in August) so I don't think there is anything wrong with them here. However, I've been hearing on the news that there is some kind of bug or disease that "they" are trying to keep out of Missouri as Missouri receives a lot of income from the walnuts.
We have one and a few years ago it looked like someone came along and stripped it of its leaves. Found out it was the gypsy moth worms who ate them, but the next year the tree seemed fine
Old 09-03-2010, 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by stitchinwitch
Do any of you have black walnut trees? Do they look SICK to you this year? Ours are almost BARE with only a handful of nuts. I was wondering if this is happening everywhere, OR - if my DH got crazy again with his RoundUp!!!!$#@!
We have 4 Black Walnut trees in our yard and several more along the woods/property line. They all look sick, but I think its from the hot dry weather we have had this summer. I can't give away the walnuts- one year I raked them all into our gravel drive and 'paved' it. Looked pretty nice and entertained the local squirrels. lol My hubbys grandmother used to make an amazing walnut cake with them!! I would like to have them cut and sell them for the wood, its beautiful. Also would'nt have to rake before cutting grass under them.
Old 09-04-2010, 03:53 PM

I live in Missouri and I have lots of black walnut trees and the nuts are huge - but they always are big. I don"t like the nuts and they are messy - always tracking in black on your shoes - or stepping on a big nut and turning your foot.. but the squirrels are in heaven.
Old 09-04-2010, 05:48 PM

Well, it seems like several of you are having the same problem with the nuts - but I am surprised that another Missourian (passionpiecer) who also lives in MO is growing large nuts! What area are you in PASSIONPIECER - not the Ozarks, I am assuming?
Old 09-05-2010, 08:58 AM

no, actually close to kc - but for some reasons my walnuts have always been bigger than some others. Some little boys came by and wanted to pick them up as they were the biggest they had seen - I told them just to leave enough for the squirrels
Old 09-05-2010, 09:53 AM

Did you know lol...that the hull of the black walnut, is used used to make a tinture that kills varmin in your body? No fooling. it will kill parasites. A few drops in a glass of water will keep you varmin free lol....
Old 09-05-2010, 11:35 AM

thats very interesting - had not heard that before , but all i have to do is brush us against or handle walnut tree limbs and I get a rash. I pretty much try not to come into contact if I can help it.
Old 09-05-2010, 01:39 PM

Varmin?? I have VARMIN???? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!
Old 09-06-2010, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
Originally Posted by emt2004
I understand that the wood from the trees is worth alot to woodworkers...........Michele
Yes I believe that is true. I love my tree- it's got such a lovely straight trunk and is really tall. I love trees!! Hard to cut any even though sometimes it's necessary.
My dh works for a large lumber yard and he said the Black Walnut wood is quite expensive and it's special order only.
Old 09-11-2010, 12:50 PM

our walnut trees don't look too good this yr. I think we were just too hot and too dry. (ohio) I hope they pull through. I love my walnuts and my trees.. their mess and all. once we get a cool fall day the kids and I will go out and collect all the nuts and put them up to dry and my boys like doing the dirty work so I'll have lots of nuts for the holiday cooking..