Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
How I build up my stash!! >

How I build up my stash!!

How I build up my stash!!

Old 09-12-2010, 08:27 PM

My Grandma did her sewing sort of like this, used my Mom's old coat to make my New coat, made my brothers jacket for church from my Grandads old suit. My sister still has a quilt grandma and her church ladies made out of men old suits. Very heavy quilt, for very cold winters.
Old 09-12-2010, 08:28 PM
Power Poster

Those are such pretty fabrics!
Old 09-12-2010, 08:31 PM

How fun!
Old 09-12-2010, 10:13 PM

When I was in High School I would get dresses with very full skirts and make new clothes for myself. I got many compliments on them. Later I used what ever I could get my hands on to make clothing or quilts. I even cut up some of my maternity tops for a quilt top. I still have that.
some day I will get it quilted. it is just a lap quilt but I love it.
Old 09-13-2010, 01:13 AM
Izy

Originally Posted by Tillybud55
try aberkhan fabrics in manchester . but these are good
So you are a local gal!! I DO go to Abakhan's, that's the only shop around here, but their choices are limited....A couple of months ago, they had a dumpster in the front part of the shop with craft fabrics, but when I went a couple of weeks ago, it had gone boo hoo!!

So where are you?? I see you are in hiding, I would love to meet up with a keep quilter!
:-D :thumbup:
Old 09-13-2010, 01:20 AM
Izy

Originally Posted by champagnebubbles
My Grandma did her sewing sort of like this, used my Mom's old coat to make my New coat, made my brothers jacket for church from my Grandads old suit. My sister still has a quilt grandma and her church ladies made out of men old suits. Very heavy quilt, for very cold winters.
Your description of the quilt made from suit fabrics is my ONLY memory of a quilt my Grandmother had, it was SOOO drab in colour, all worsted wools, but it was very warm, necessary in the Scottish winters I can tell you!!

:-D
Old 09-13-2010, 01:20 AM
Izy

Originally Posted by champagnebubbles
Your description of the quilt made from suit fabrics is my ONLY memory of a quilt my Grandmother had, it was SOOO drab in colour, all worsted wools, but it was very warm, necessary in the Scottish winters I can tell you!!

Old 09-13-2010, 01:21 AM
Izy

Originally Posted by domaema
When I was in High School I would get dresses with very full skirts and make new clothes for myself. I got many compliments on them. Later I used what ever I could get my hands on to make clothing or quilts. I even cut up some of my maternity tops for a quilt top. I still have that.
some day I will get it quilted. it is just a lap quilt but I love it.
It must evoke such fond memories when you are snuggled up with it too, wonderful

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 09-13-2010, 01:25 AM
Izy

Originally Posted by Annz
wow what a wonderful find. I would shop there all the time. I hope the price was right.
Most charity shops sell men's shirts for around £3.50-£4.00 not cheap, but when you consider how much fabric you get out of them it's worth it...BUT this great shop I have found in the next town, sells ALL it's garments at £1 an item...now that IS the place to visit, I said in an earlier post that I visited on Saturday and found 10 garments, all lovely, like brand new (You can tell by the labels, still crisp and bright) I am in the process of cutting those all up! So will take a picture to show you later today hopefully!!

Old 09-13-2010, 02:37 AM

No quilt shop in Manchester!! Sorry to make you jealous but we're spoilt for choice here in Bath and nearby. But keep raiding the charity shops, I do too.