Doggy having Seizures...

Old 09-13-2010, 11:08 PM

He is a BEAUTIFUL baby! I had a Sheltie "Lady Sarah" for 13 years....she was my very first baby. Honestly, after I lost her I didn't get another dog until my daughter got the one in my avatar. Obviously I have a VERY soft spot so I of course would get a second opinion. If it is "normal" for her fine, but just in case I would want to make sure it isn't an underlining problem. Good luck with your baby.
Old 09-14-2010, 03:53 AM

Our Boxer had seizures when he was younger. It used to just scare me to death. Usually it happend when he had been running and playing hard. He would just stop and fall over, I would just rub him and let him know I was with him. In a little while he would come around but still had to lay there for a while. Then he would stand up but very lethargic. It broke my heart to see him go through that, but the vet said they were too infrequent to put him on meds. He is 12 now and I can't bear to think of giving him up. He is my baby!! People that dont have pets, just dont realize the connection. My life is richer for having him.
Old 09-14-2010, 04:12 AM
Banned

What a beautiful dog! I would get a second opinion.
Old 09-14-2010, 04:19 AM
Power Poster

Aw, he is so cute! So sorry he has to go through this!
Old 09-14-2010, 05:17 AM

My dog had the same thing and it started around the same age. I started reading online about causes etc. There isn't much know about the why, but it did say that a good diet is essential. So we switched to Iams dog food. Not to sound like a commercial, but he has not had a siezure since we switched which was over a year ago. Good luck to you - he is a beauty!
Old 09-14-2010, 05:18 AM

Thanks everyone for your advise... especially the people who have had experience with this.

Finn has had a seizure at 4am ... we woke up because Gus the schnauzer was barking at him and Finn's feet were hitting against a wire clothing hamper in the bathroom. I got up and turned on the light to see Gus sitting in the bathtub barking and whining and Finn doing this awful dance. I blamed it on 2000 Flushes because Finn will sometimes drink from the toilet and I had just put a puck in there. Fast forward a month and we are at our trailer around 10pm and Finn had just come back from a stroll. Another seizure but this one not so bad. Next one Sunday morning around 10 am he was lying in my recliner and he started paddling. We haven't seen him go into one. We usually see him when he starts the paddling.

I've been trying to see a connection. Something! Anything! Food is the only common denominator for a trigger. But the times are off a little. We feed him Pedigree Vitality which lists as its main ingredient: ground corn meal.

Such a hard thing to go through... but I know there are a million things worse that could be going on in my life so I should be thanking God for all things that are right!
Old 09-14-2010, 05:29 AM

I know what you are going through. We had a Sheltie and at 5 yrs. he started having seizures. His back legs woudn't hold him up but he would manage to get to you for comfort. Vets did everything they could for him. This went on for a year, and then he had to be hospitalized for a least 3 days at a time. The last time he was hospitalized the vet called and said we had to make a decision, kidney failure also set in. The vet said to come up and say our goodbyes and that was the hardest thing for us to do. He was our baby and now he is in Doggie Heaven. Still miss him
Old 09-14-2010, 06:04 AM

We had a cocker spaniel that had seizures starting when he was about 5 years old. Our vet did a lot of research (me too) and came to the conclusion that cocker spaniel's sometimes have an ammino acid deficit. He suggested two over-the-counter supplements that I could give him and yes, they were less frequent. Also, our pets deplete a lot of energy during these seizures. I always gave my pooch a teaspoon of vanilla ice cream after his seizures to bring his sugar levels back up. Also keep a record of date and time and length of seizures for your vet.
Old 09-14-2010, 06:13 AM

My 4 yr old GoldenDoodle Also has had 3 Seizures. 2 vets gave me the same advise as yours. Of course I searched the net on canine seizures. I had changed dry dog food brands . Since it has been several summer months , I think one of the ingredients in a name brand kibble may be our culprit. I went back to Cosco's Lamb and rice. Some breeds seem to be prone to seizures too. No meds here unless I have no options. Wishing your beautiful dog well and calm for you...hard to watch.
Old 09-14-2010, 06:17 AM

WELL,I have a different answer .

My little chihuahua/doxy -mix started having seizures.The vet put her on meds and it did take care of it . BUT ..she gained a lot of weight and then had weight related issues. We were in complete control of her food. She got 1/4 cup am and pm . nothing worked to reduce her weight.

BUT THEN...........I found online an online web site titled

''What Your Stupid Vet Won't Tell You ''

I read the initial report and then paid for the extended web pages.

BASICALLY...We started feeding ' OREO' people food. Protein and lots of veggies and some fruit. Plus an enzyme that we got from the Health food store to help her digest the veggies.

She is so much better. instead of 4 + seizures a week ....she has maybe 1-2 a month. If we could convince our 3 yr old not to feed her grain items OREO WOULD PROBABLY BE SEIZURE FREE.

A local '' holistic pet food store '' told us that some dogs have an allergy to most grains. Also, preppacked dog food has so many toxins in them that it is sickening to read about .

If You like to talk more about this send me a PM and I can give You my phone number. I can call You or You can call me.

Best of luck...Alice