Doggy having Seizures...

Old 09-14-2010, 07:06 AM

What a beautiful doggie, I am so sorry that he is having those problems, I have a small corgie, but have never had those problems, but if I were you I would get a second or maybe a third oppion, give him a big hug from me and my baby Bandit.
Old 09-14-2010, 07:37 AM

I to have a JRT. He's been having seizures since he was 9 months old. (he'll be 5 in Dec.) Max is also on Phenobarbital and Potassium Bromide. I read online somewhere that ice cream will help bring them out of the seizure faster so I tried it and it worked for us. I don't know if it's the distraction if getting a special treat or if there is something in the ice cream ( sugar or fat content ???) but his seizures don't seem to last as long. We hold him and give him lots of love and he seems to come out of it in a better mood. Your pup is so beautiful. I hope this helps. I know how hard it can be to watch them go through something like that.
Old 09-14-2010, 07:48 AM

Anyone who has a dog with seizures: can you answer this? IS your dog more aggressive right after his seizures? Finn can't stand for me to touch him and tries to bite. He NEVER bites anyone when he is OK!!! He doesn't recognize me... and growls at me. I have to talk and talk and talk to him from across the room before he wags his tail. This worries me as I am afraid he will become very aggressive if we medicate him and even more so if we don't.
Old 09-14-2010, 07:52 AM

My beagle/lab mix used to have BAD spells and was given meds when she had a seizure but did allergy test and she was allergic to something in her food. Now she is FREE of all seizures because we use a more pure food for her that was recommended from the test lab.
The lab gave us about 50 different foods to choose from that might be available in our area. Companies change ingredients without us knowing about it.
Know how scared you are, as I was a wreck when my Barbie had her spells.
Old 09-14-2010, 07:54 AM

He's a beauty! I would suggest checking Yahoo groups for your breed and for dog seizures in general. I have an English Mastiff and am a member of a couple of Yahoo groups for that breed, one of which is health related. There have been several discussions about various natural therapys and natural supplements to help protect their liver if given pheno. I've seen seizures in dogs before and they are truly horrible to watch. Best of luck to you both!

Susan
Old 09-14-2010, 10:24 AM

He is a beauty. What a handsome fellow.
Old 09-14-2010, 11:02 AM
TJB

I have chuachua and he has seizures too; but at first they were few and far between. Talked to the vet and he said the same thing that your vet did.
Then they seemed to be coming more frequently. So we took a whole month on a calender and dated and timed every seizure for that month. When they started coming more than one time a day was when the vet put my little Shorty on Phenobarbital one tablet twice a day. Sence then he has had only one seizure and he is doing great. I hope that this helps and your pet will be better soon.

tjb
Old 09-14-2010, 05:08 PM
Power Poster

I would definately get a second opinion and be honest about his seisures. Don't exaggerate as it may cause him to be treated to agressively when he may not need it.
Old 09-14-2010, 05:20 PM

what a beautiful baby!! One of my cats had a seizure that we actually saw. We took her to the vet and had an MRI and they never found out what it was. Although nothing was ever found, I am glad we took her in. As any mom knows "follow your gut feeling" to decide if you want a second opinion.
Old 09-14-2010, 05:36 PM
Power Poster

One of my toy poodles had seizures and I suspected it was from the shots she got every year, started about 6-10 yr.s old, vet didn't think shots would cause them, her face would swell up also, they tried benadryl, pills and shots, not giving all shots at same time, nothing worked I insisted that she not get the shots and WALLA WALLA, no more seizures, she only had a few a year. She would go down and lay like a frog, stiff only lasted a short time, would try to get up but, couldn't, had them some outside. We had to watch her in hot & cold weather, she wasn't out in it too long. She is now 15 1/2 Yr.s old, just normal aging problems now.