Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Applique Club (Do you like to applique, lets chit chat here) >

Applique Club (Do you like to applique, lets chit chat here)

Applique Club (Do you like to applique, lets chit chat here)

Old 09-16-2010, 05:50 AM

I think that's a great idea. Like I said, I would love to have more experience with potholders! :-D

Lovely pictures, ladies. Beautiful work! :thumbup:
Old 09-16-2010, 11:14 AM

i've done applique for a long time now and i would suggest for beginners to use wool instead of cotton. you don't have to do needle turn. you can do blind stitch or blanket stitch and no worry about fraying. i went to fabric.com or someplace and ordered their 'sample' packet of wool fabric and got a BIG stack for nearly nothing. it goes really far and you don't have a big investment. one package i rec'd was like wool felt and the other is like you would use in clothing. cool - enjoy -i was beginning to think i was the only one left
Old 09-16-2010, 11:56 AM

Last year I took a class on needle turn applique and then downloaded the free BOM patterns that Bunny Hill designs had out at the time. I am slowly making my way through it, not even half way yet! My needle turn work didn't look that great, so I switched to freezer-paper and starch, but got tired of starching and ironing the seam allowance under, so now I just use the freezer paper and needle turn around it. Before taking the last inch (more or less depending on the piece) of stitching I use one of those pointy things you use to sew up a turkey after stuffing it to release the freezer paper from the fabric and then pull it out with a pair of tweezers. Sometimes I get a more puffy look, but I think it just adds dimension.
Old 09-16-2010, 03:08 PM

I like the looks of your applique. I haven't seen it done like that. What is it called - the big straight stitches?
Old 09-16-2010, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by KathyAire
I like the looks of your applique. I haven't seen it done like that. What is it called - the big straight stitches?
I was talking about the appliquing by Kate (Lotus).
Old 09-16-2010, 05:15 PM

I was talking about the appliquing by Kate (Lotus).
My niece who had ever been in Canada. she bought a quilting magazine there and bringing back to Thailand with her. we had a good time starting to quilt together. I learnt from that magazine. The big straight stitches is Running Stitch Applique (If I'm wrong and there is someone lives in Canada...please correct me).That's way they called.

I'm not good enough on applique yet and not expert at all....I have to learn more with you all......

thank you for sharing your experiences...
Old 09-16-2010, 05:50 PM

Just came upon this applique club, wow I'm excited to see the lovely work and the tutorials on here. I am also into turned appique but still learn something new all the time. I am doing the angels of the month right now, have 5 done so far. This is just an experiment to see how well I can do. I surprised myself. I have spent hours just checking out all the youtube techniques. I'm so addicted!! I would love to be a part of this group, dont know what to do but surely I am interested.
Old 09-16-2010, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by daylily4u
Just came upon this applique club, wow I'm excited to see the lovely work and the tutorials on here. I am also into turned appique but still learn something new all the time. I am doing the angels of the month right now, have 5 done so far. This is just an experiment to see how well I can do. I surprised myself. I have spent hours just checking out all the youtube techniques. I'm so addicted!! I would love to be a part of this group, dont know what to do but surely I am interested.
count me in, I would love to be a part of this group as well..please suggest how to be in....
Old 09-16-2010, 05:57 PM
pal

I bought "Aunt Millie's Garden" by Piece O'Cake Designs with my 40% coupon from Jo-Ann's. It's beautiful - and it's still
unopened! There is a good chance that I bit off a little more than I can chew. (ya think???) With your help I will do it!!! Great Idea, CB. Thanks for starting this!!
Old 09-17-2010, 05:01 PM
Google Goddess

please look at your book and let us know if you like it

Originally Posted by pal
I bought "Aunt Millie's Garden" by Piece O'Cake Designs with my 40% coupon from Jo-Ann's. It's beautiful - and it's still
unopened! There is a good chance that I bit off a little more than I can chew. (ya think???) With your help I will do it!!! Great Idea, CB. Thanks for starting this!!