Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Housework Tips & Tricks (Post yours for us to enjoy) >

Housework Tips & Tricks (Post yours for us to enjoy)

Housework Tips & Tricks (Post yours for us to enjoy)

Old 09-17-2010, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by Melinda in Tulsa
Originally Posted by ptquilts
Get a sign that says

"My house was clean yesterday -- sorry you missed it."

I have that same sign! :thumbup:
I have a sign by the front door........

Welcome to our home, please do not write your name in the dust.
Old 09-18-2010, 03:18 AM

Originally Posted by Chasing Hawk
I just remembered this......

When my youngest daughter was about 7, she wouldn't keep her room clean. And if by some miracle she did. All of the mess was pushed under the bed. And then covered by the dust ruffle, so to her out of sight and Mom won't know...LOL

Well I went in there with a bow rake and drug all that mess out and threw it in the trash. Then took her bed frame and put that in the garage. Her bed sat on the floor, no place to cram her mess under. And I took her closet doors too. I am so mean....LOL
I would do that! Great solution!
Old 09-18-2010, 03:38 AM

Mineral stains on faucets. We have very hard water and the faucets in bathroom looked terrible. I read about using white vinegar on the faucets. So armed with a sponge with a scrubby surface on one side and a bottle of white vinegar I tackled the stains. They came off. The faucets are shiny now.
Old 09-18-2010, 04:42 AM

All your suggestions sound wonderful, but they won't work for me. I schedule my housecleaning tasks so I can clean as I do other things in that room. If I'm making coffee or cooking a meal in the microwave, as an example, if anything in that room is out of place, put it where it belongs. Also a good time to wash the small amount of dishes I use. I use this method in every room in the house. Never go from one room to the next with empty hands. There always seems to be a stray that belongs in another room. It may not be a perfect way, but it works for me, as I suffer from severe ostheoarthritis.

There is one suggestion I would love to share with everyone. When I use a needle, whether on sewing machine or a hand stitching needle, rather than struggling to get the thread through the eye. do not moisten the thread, moisten the needle. For some reason, the saliva acts as a magnet and the thread goes right through.
Old 09-18-2010, 07:38 AM

Just think your having company
each week and see how fast you
get your house cleaned. Betty Lee
Old 09-18-2010, 07:47 AM

[quote=kay carlson]I've had lots of giggles reading this thread!!!!

For years, I always hung up a sign in my kitchen no matter where we lived. "My house is clean enough to be healthy and dirty enough to be happy." When I finally retired, I sent the sign to Goodwill :-)
quote]

I had a sign that read, welcome . altho this house is quite a mess. come in relax converse it doesn't always look like this some times it's even worse
Old 09-18-2010, 07:55 AM

Oh dear, I can't believe I'm going to tell you this!! I am a cleanaholic!! I married a cleanaholic. Even though we retired our house has always been pretty much spotless. In fact a couple ladies from my card club have hired me to clean their houses. That is my fabric mad money!!

My favorite cleaning tools I can't live without...Magic erasers, they will clean everything, and Tresan microfiber cloths. I never use windex anymore. They will clean glass and mirrors with just plain hot water.
Old 09-18-2010, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by Betty Lee
Just think you're having company
each week and see how fast you
get your house cleaned. Betty Lee
========================
I'll go with that one...

Just pretend your mother-in-law is coming to visit from out of state and she is nosey and peeks into every room and cabinet!!

My apologies to the memory of my own dear MIL, Eugenia.
Old 09-18-2010, 08:11 AM

Melinda in Tulsa]Housework...Cleaning....Sorry, I don't understand what those words mean
---------------------------------------
I know that I've heard of those words, and fully intend to get online and try to find out what they mean. And there's another one usually said with loathing...ironing.

Are you really sure they are in English?
Old 09-18-2010, 08:22 AM

I keep bathroom cleaning supplies under the sink in every bathroom (we have 4). I make a point to use each bathroom at least once a week, and while I am there, I slosh the toidy with pinesol, wipe down the sink and counter, and straighten the towels on the rack. That only leaves the floors... good luck if they ever see a mop! lol