Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Connecting Thread thread question.... >

Connecting Thread thread question....

Connecting Thread thread question....

Old 09-18-2010, 06:06 AM

One more question..... What is connecting thread? I'm new to quilting and have never heard of this. When I started machine quilting Joann's had thread for 1/2 off and I bought 8 spools of the cotton quilting thread. I hate it. It is as curly as curl ribbon. I wish I hadn't bought so much of it, but 1/2 off is a good bargain. Like my hubby says, it's not a bargain if you don't like it.
Old 09-18-2010, 06:20 AM

If you go to the website for Superior Thread (www.superiorthread.com) they have an education tab. it will tell you everything you ever wanted to know about thread and then a whole lot more. Basically what I got from their site is that it's a personal preference. There is no right or wrong. According to their website if you ask alot of people why they use only cotton they will tell you that's how they learned and it was a tradition thing. Back in the day there wasn't any such thing as polyester or rayon. So, check out their website and I think you will find the right answer for YOU.
Old 09-18-2010, 06:25 AM

I love Connecting Threads essential thread. I use the regular spools and purchase mostly the neutral colors like neutral, cornsilk and cream.
Old 09-18-2010, 06:35 AM

I would guess that the thread on the small spools and the larger cones is the same thread....just a different amount. So if you aren't sure if it will work for you, buy a small spool.
I LOVE their thread. I even use it on my LA
Old 09-18-2010, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by yomomma43
One more question..... What is connecting thread? I'm new to quilting and have never heard of this. When I started machine quilting Joann's had thread for 1/2 off and I bought 8 spools of the cotton quilting thread. I hate it. It is as curly as curl ribbon. I wish I hadn't bought so much of it, but 1/2 off is a good bargain. Like my hubby says, it's not a bargain if you don't like it.
'connecting thread' is not really a thread. It refers to the threads that the company Connecting Threads sells. It is available in many colors as well as neutrals in small spools (I believe it 1200 yds) or cones (5000 yds). Give it a try...I think its the best available for a fantastic price.
Old 09-18-2010, 06:41 AM

I find that with this thread the seams are a bit thicker. My favorite piecing thread is Masterpiece by Superior thread.
Old 09-18-2010, 08:37 AM
Banned

The thread you bought may have been meant for handquilting; should not be used for machine work.
I have used Connecting Threads product, and it's fine. I prefer Aurifil and Bottom Line.
Old 09-19-2010, 08:40 PM

I would just get a couple of spools to try it out. I bought about a dozen spools and I don't like it.
Old 09-19-2010, 08:59 PM

Im a rebel when it comes to quilting rules. when i sew or quilt with my bernina I love the look of the sulky rayon thread, and no big lint problem. However, My Bailey machine does not play nice with the sulky, so I buy the connecting threads brand which is much much cheaper. The downside is more lint and less shine,I dont think varigated thread has made it to connecting threads maybe someday.
Old 09-19-2010, 09:05 PM

Connecting Thread is a fabric and notions online store. I buy kits from them as I have 'color issues' and cannot coordinate fabrics easily. Fabrics are generally lower priced, too, and, so far have been of good quality.