Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Please share your best money-saving tips for quilters on a budget >

Please share your best money-saving tips for quilters on a budget

Please share your best money-saving tips for quilters on a budget

Old 09-18-2010, 04:53 AM

I recycle my books and sell them on-line at different sewing/quilting sales. I have not used these classifieds, but I'm getting some together. I ususally recoup most of my expenditure b/c I also buy them on these lists. It's a great way to save some $$$. I have not bought much fabric this year - just a couple of on-line sales that couldn't be missed. I really have cut back. I'm just not paying over $10/yd and it's going up. I never pay more than $5/yd. Not much of that this year either.
Old 09-18-2010, 05:16 AM

wonderful! wonderful advice, since I was just told to budget!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-18-2010, 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by KwiltyKahy
Originally Posted by Charlee
My biggest $$ saving tip would be to stay completely away from the vintage machines!! :lol: (They are SO addictive!!)
Could I please use your saying about dust and patina? I love it!!! And my house has a lot of patina.
:lol: Absolutely!!
Old 09-18-2010, 06:54 AM

Lots of great tips here!! Thanks for asking that question.
Old 09-18-2010, 07:13 AM

I save a lot of money by using the library for quilt books. I've found that as much as I like to look at quilt books, I don't actually make that many quilts directly from them, I just use them as a reference for techniques, or block designs. So checking out a book is as useful to me as buying one, most of the time, and much cheaper.

I also use Bookmooch to get books. A lot of the quilting/craft books available aren't current, but the great thing about quilting is that the classics never go out of style. I got two Georgia Bonesteel books that way, and I've used them a lot.
Old 09-18-2010, 07:32 AM

When you are on a budget, it is difficult to "buy up" even when material is on sale. I use flat sheets for the backing. I go to garage sales every week looking especially for good sheets and material. I have made some fantastic buys of material at garage sales. Most of the time flat sheet are in excellent condition. By the time garage sale season is over, I have a pretty good supply. Only when the budget allows, I buy new material on sale, usually at Hancock's. I never go to quilt shops. Anything "made for quilting", I mean anything, is going to cost more.
Old 09-18-2010, 07:37 AM

All these are great tips...I too haunt the thrift shop. I buy the toss pillows for the stuffing, towels for the insides of pot holders, Flannel baby blankets for a heavier flat batt and good condition flannel for a lightweight flat batt. I find lots of lengths of fabric. I have found, silk, faux suede, wool and gingham. I look for clothing with good fabric in the thrift shop sale bin, or go in for bag sales and stock up on men's cotton shirts. Not to mention jeans, linin tablecloths and wonderful novelty dishtowels, and pillow cases for all sorts of sewing. If you look around
you can find lots of fabric to upclyle. How ever that does not mean I don't have a stash of newer fabs, or an over flowing scrap bin. Ahhh so much fabric and so few decades left to use it up.
Old 09-18-2010, 07:41 AM

love the thread on budject quilting, I already told my whole family got any clothes you cant ware anymore send them my way i was learning to quilt and can use them, I never thought about saveing the zippers etc from them Guess it helps to read LOL well yall have a great day , i am finally getting the old room sorta cleaned out so i will have my very on crafteing room of course my sons kittens are helping me
HUGS Dora
Old 09-18-2010, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by fabric_fancy
join the local guilds.

guilds typically have a library of books and patterns that you can borrow.

they also do charity work with donated fabric and you can get experience and scraps by sewing and quilting the charity quilts.

all the non-scrappy quilters of the guild bring in their scraps for the scrap bin and any of the members are welcome to take as much as they want. i just dropped off 2 tubs of scraps at this weeks meeting.

members routinely trade fabrics with each other so that's another way to acquire some fabric that you need for a project.
Yes, I agree 100%; a wonderful resource!
Old 09-18-2010, 08:25 AM

i just want to thank you ladies for all the great tips. Please keep them coming.