Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Please share your best money-saving tips for quilters on a budget >

Please share your best money-saving tips for quilters on a budget

Please share your best money-saving tips for quilters on a budget

Old 09-18-2010, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by CarrieAnne
I love to go to garage sales and thrift stores, to find books, magazines, fabrics, and patterns. Also check the classifieds here, I have gotten some really inexpensive magazines, ect. Even traded a few people for fabric, and that was SO fun!
What kind of people did you get for your fabric trade?!!! :)
Old 09-18-2010, 05:50 PM

Wow! Such good suggestions! I too am trying to make quilts (throw size) only using my stash. I plan to give them for Christmas gifts spending more time and less money for gifts this year. I have made a couple of scrappy tops using 2 inch strips that I cut from leftovers as I acquire them so they are ready to go. Using fabric I already have for backing, borders, and binding makes them an inexpensive gift. I also piece large batting scraps and save smaller pieces for stuffing. Thanks for all the good ideas.
Old 09-18-2010, 06:38 PM

If there is a Project Linus in your area you could check with them. The chapters often get fabric donated for the members to use for PL quilts.
http://www.projectlinus.org
Old 09-18-2010, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by jlm5419
I'll start:
I get flat sheets from the thrift store to use as backing for quilts. They're large enough they don't require a seam, and usually much less expensive than fabric from the LQS.
For those of us in a colder climate, like New England,flannel sheets are great for us. I find these at yard sales quite often. Loraine
Old 09-18-2010, 06:49 PM

that would also help with the storage problem..
Old 09-18-2010, 06:51 PM

When all else fails ASK!!!! ask family ,friends coworkers. say im making some quilts and was wondering if you have any fabric you might want to get rid of. Or post a note or sign on workplace bulletin board. Wanted your fabric you don't need or want. A lot of people have it but are unsure what to do with it and they wont Know you want or need it unless you ask :)
Old 09-18-2010, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by craftybear
go to used book stores and buy quilting books, less than $1.00 each and some of the books were $24.95 each original price
Now we know where the :Crafty: in your name originated..
great tip, I do the same thing. Right now our local used book store has a 50%off coupon. Hope I get to use it soon. Loraine
Old 09-18-2010, 06:57 PM

What is a crumb border ?
Old 09-18-2010, 07:11 PM

Don't forget to think outside the box. For instance tonite, I decided I needed something to keep my small rulers together, rather than to run out and buy something, I looked around and found this in the attic. Works great, no money spent!
Also, we had these shelves that my hubby was going to throw out, I said "let paint them and put them in my sewing room", so he painted them and he is going to put them up for me tomorrow! So think, then use what you got would be my tip! Sometimes I have to remember to do this myself!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-108193.jpe
Views:	191
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	108198   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-108194.jpe
Views:	154
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	108199  
Old 09-18-2010, 07:28 PM

I do the same thing. Near the end of the month the store in my small town, has a rack with a certain colored tag on which the clothes are all 25 cents and then they go down to 10 cents by the end of the month. So, I check that rack for 100% cotton items. Then I take them apart & remove the buttons & zippers and fold the fabric up compactly and add it to my stach.
I have a question. Lots of the blouses now days have 10% & sometimes a bit more nylon or spandex mixed with the cotton. Does any one know if that kind of fabric works well for quilting. I have purchased some blouses with the nylon or spandex, which stretches a bit one direction, for fabric, but not tried it for quilting yet.