Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What quilting related items have you had to sneak in the door? >

What quilting related items have you had to sneak in the door?

What quilting related items have you had to sneak in the door?

Old 09-20-2010, 05:54 AM

My husband says Quilting is:

You take a big piece of fabric, cut it up into little pieces, then you sew it back together... what sense does that make?

He is the first to tell me about sales though. He found on Craig's List, 3 cutting boards, one with the ironing flip side, and 4 rulers, all for $30. I did get them and they are in great shape. The girl's mother passed away and she had no idea or desire to know what they were.
Old 09-20-2010, 06:18 AM

My fabric, machines, etc. take up two bedrooms and the machinee part of the dinning room. My quilting frame/machine are in the back bedroom with half my stash. So no, I don't have to hide anything, my hubby takes me to the fabric store or anyplace I need to go pertaining to it. Thank goodness, I was married to man I had to hide everything from 30 yrs ago and promised myself never again:)
hugz:)
Candi
Old 09-20-2010, 06:26 AM

Mine doesn't care. He gets what he wants for the boat and the van and I get what I want for the house. No sneaking here!
Old 09-20-2010, 06:38 AM

My husband doesn't care how much I spend on my quilting. He encourages it. He built me a beautiful sewing room. We just took our 35th anniversary trip and went to Montana. He made sure I got to every quilt store in Western Montana.
On the other hand he is an avid collector of Railroad memorabila and has a whole basement full of his train stuff. So he really can't say much.
He has his hobby and I have mine. Together we have our cars. We take cruises with our local Mustang Club. We got to car shows all over the northwest. We took my Shelby to Montana and had the top down 95% of the time. Summertime we play with the cars. I quilt when the weather is bad.
Old 09-20-2010, 06:48 AM

When you live in an RV everything is out in the open. No secrets. He drives us almost every place we go. He also does 90% of cooking, dishwashing, laundry, vaccuming, etc. And no you cannot borrow or rent him! LOL We've been together for 27 years. I have a jewel.
Old 09-20-2010, 06:55 AM

my hubby loves it that I quilt and takes me to get everything I need plus he just bought me a great sewing machine..:)
Old 09-20-2010, 07:10 AM

I've been known to sneak fabric in after DH goes to bed, but not because of money issues. He just will occasionally complain about "How much fabric do you need." He doesn't get the concept of quilters needing lots of fabric to choose from. It could be worse. We have a winter place in FL and I don't keep a stash there. I bring some fabric down each year. Although I do have to buy more there too sometimes for a project. Can you imagine if I had a full fledge stash in both places.
Old 09-20-2010, 07:45 AM

It seems like fabric is the thing to sneak into the house. I know he has no idea how much I have. He went with me the other day to the local Quilt store and I found charm packs on sale for $5 a pack and bought 5 of them. He asked why did I need so much fabric to make 1 quilt...lol I just looked at him and shook my head.
Old 09-20-2010, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by Lyn
Not a problem, he knows it keeps me off the streets and out of the bars. :)
LMAO, good one !!!
Old 09-20-2010, 08:06 AM

When I was an educator I used to tell the ladies in my seminars that I never bought more fabric than I could fit into my breifcase to go home at night. I put it in the closet and if DH noticed me working on something new I could honestly say, "It was in my closet." LOL

I used to be very pathetic! When I worked at USF I figured out what time the UPS man arrived at my LQS & would take my lunch so I could see the fabric as it was delivered! True story! I spent so much time there (and money) that finally the dealer asked me to go to work for her. She said, you sell most of my machines anyway, why not get paid for it? I did and later when we were transferred to another state, Pfaff hired me as an educator.

And it all started with fabric! LOL