Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Husqvarna Viking & Pfaff machines >

Husqvarna Viking & Pfaff machines

Husqvarna Viking & Pfaff machines

Old 09-22-2010, 04:22 AM

I don't know anything about the embroidery machines but I have a Viking Sapphire 870 and absolutely love it. My local dealer is very involved and services everything he sells. I haven't needed any service yet but if I can't figure out how to use a feature on the machine I stop in his shop and he sits down with me and goes through the process with me then lets me practice until I feel can I do it easily.
He also told me about the merger and said he took a Viking apart after the manufacturing went to China and found that it was exactly the same.
Old 09-22-2010, 05:04 AM

I owned a Viling Designer I and had many, many problems with it. I finally traded it in for a Baby Lock when I was told it would cost qver $300.00 to repair it. Even though it was an embroidery machine I hated to embroider on it. It was very unpredictable. It would be sewing great and then it would mess up and I would have to start all over. I had it back many times for repairs. Another problem I had with Viking was the software you could purchase to do your own designs or edit other designs. It was very expensive and it was not updated after a couple of years. You were expected to buy the next version for hundreds of dollars more.
I love my Baby Lock and enjoy embroidering on it.
Old 09-22-2010, 05:11 AM

I have two Husqvarna machines-and love them both.they do not have built in IDT but you can buy a walking foot for them.
Old 09-22-2010, 05:22 AM

I have a Bernina 830, bought it 37 years ago. It has a few fancy stitches and I have couple million miles on it. I love that machine. Four years ago, I bought the Pfaff 2124, it does embroidery. Last winter it started having stitch problems, I took it in for repair. The motherboard went out and it took months for the part to come in from where ever. Repair was $326. I also have a real old Pfaff, made somewhere in the '40's in Germany, it's a work horse. If I was to buy a new machine again, I will go Bernina.
Old 09-22-2010, 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by wolph33
I have two Husqvarna machines-and love them both.they do not have built in IDT but you can buy a walking foot for them.
With the walking foot, what happens if you are doing something that requires a special foot, such as inserting a zipper? Does it mean you can only use the walking foot for straight or stitches that only need a zig-zag foot? So if I was attaching a decorative cord that requires a couching foot, I couldn't use the walking foot as well? I sometimes make curtains, as well as cushions, quilts, dressmaking & want to get into machine embroidery too, so this is a relevant issue for me.
Old 09-22-2010, 05:24 AM

I would decide based on the dealer. Go with the dealer with the best reputation - for classes and service. That way, if you run into trouble you have someone to turn to.

I had a Viking Lily that I loved, but traded it for a Sapphire, which I didn't - mostly because the dealer didn't support it well. I now have a Bernina, which I enjoy using.

Embroidery doesn't interest me, but if I were looking for a sewing machine for quilting the Janome Horizon would be one that I would look at very closely now. Unfortunately it came out one year too late for me.
Old 09-22-2010, 05:26 AM

I have all 3 - Bernina 830 the old one, 2 vikings and a pfaff. Prefer the bernina over all of them. If it is still working, keep it as a back up, or put diff colors of thread in each, so you don't have to change all the time. (VBG)
Old 09-22-2010, 05:51 AM

I have a Viking D1 and love it. A Bernina dealer told me she has a D1 that she uses at home. She said there are things about both machines she likes. I have nothing against the other brands I just like my D1. It has many good features. I agree buy from a dealer and a reputable dealer. My dealer has been very helpful with everything I've needed.
Old 09-22-2010, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by Fabaddict
I have all 3 - Bernina 830 the old one, 2 vikings and a pfaff. Prefer the bernina over all of them. If it is still working, keep it as a back up, or put diff colors of thread in each, so you don't have to change all the time. (VBG)
Don't worry, I could never part with my old Bernina 801 - too many precious memories of the things I made on it. If I had the money ($12k) and someone to carry it to classes I'd buy the new Bernina 830. Have you seen one - its a huge machine, and apparently weighs a ton. I will stick to either the Husqvarna or Pfaff as they suit my budget. But I have to say the voting is just about even, after reading everyone's comments. I guess its like asking which is better a Mercedes or a BMW, either is brilliant if its in your garage! I applaud all your passion and look forward to getting to know some of you via the website. The idea that I can talk to you all from Perth, Western Australia and share what we do, is fantastic!!!
Old 09-22-2010, 06:10 AM

Before you buy be sure to check out the Janome Machines. Best quality for the money. The new Horizion machine is to die for with the 11in throat and 200 stitches. Drop in bobbin and thread cutter make it so easy to use. Don't wast your money on lesser machines. Lots of features designed just for quilters.