Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Husqvarna Viking & Pfaff machines >

Husqvarna Viking & Pfaff machines

Husqvarna Viking & Pfaff machines

Old 09-22-2010, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by Aunt Doggie
The only thing that I would like is the stitch regulator, but other than that, I plan on keeping mine!
To be honest, I've only used the BSR a little bit, but it doesn't seem to be much help. I've FMQed with the Bernina and did just fine without it.
Old 09-22-2010, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by SheilaS
Originally Posted by wolph33
I have two Husqvarna machines-and love them both.tAhey do not have built in IDT but you can buy a walking foot for them.
With the walking foot, what happens if you are doing something that requires a special foot, such as inserting a zipper? Does it mean you can only use the walking foot for straight or stitches that only need a zig-zag foot? So if I was attaching a decorative cord that requires a couching foot, I couldn't use the walking foot as well? I sometimes make curtains, as well as cushions, quilts, dressmaking & want to get into machine embroidery too, so this is a relevant issue for me.
That's why I prefer the Pfaff. The IDT works with any foot. I think some of the new models of other machines now have their version of the IDT. I know Elna does, and I'm pretty sure the Viking does.
Old 09-22-2010, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by Hinterland
Originally Posted by Aunt Doggie
The only thing that I would like is the stitch regulator, but other than that, I plan on keeping mine!
To be honest, I've only used the BSR a little bit, but it doesn't seem to be much help. I've FMQed with the Bernina and did just fine without it.
I feel the same way about the BSR. I have tried it at the quilt shows and the Bernina dealers and I just plain don't like it. I argue with it, as I like to run the machine fast and move the quilt slow; apparently the BSR likes it the other way. :-(
Old 09-22-2010, 11:59 AM

Navywife,
Janome and Bernina have the full time walking foot but only on the really expensive models , Viking doesn't have it
at all.
Old 09-22-2010, 12:05 PM

I have a Phaff creative machine. It was one of the first machines that came out four years ago. I have had nothing but, trouble with it. The dealer gave three ladies new machines,when they had trouble, but he wouldn't give me one.Now he is out of business and If I have trouble I have to send it to Pfaff. i gave 8,000 for it and I wish I had gotten the new bernina. Oh, well if Pfaff is happy with it I guess I have to be also, but that was alot of money to dough out and have nothing but trouble. Good-luck on your choice.
Old 09-22-2010, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by SheilaS
Originally Posted by Navy Wife
The Creative Touch is the Pfaff version of Bernina 830. There are 2 less expensive ones. Just wanted to give fair warning!
Hi Navywife,
Your comment intrigued me. Pfaff has Creative 2.0, 4.0 & the top of the range Creative Vision, all combination machines with the wide harp, ranging from $A3000 to $10,000. The Bernina 830 is the only combo machine with a wide harp that Bernina does. So could you please explain your comment, I would to save some money on my purchase!
The Pfaff creative 2.0 and 4.0 are the less expensive machines in the embroidery line. They lack some features of the Creative Touch. There is also the Expressions line which are not embroidery machines. The 3.0 has the wide harp and is called the Quilt Expression. If you will go to Pfaff.com all the machines are shown and their features and differences are listed. I'm sure Bernina has the same thing on their site, as well as Viking and Janome and any other brand of machine. There is one main thing to remember. Any brand of machine is only as good as the dealer you buy it from! Not just for repairs, but classes, information, and extras not included in the original package. Also, the dealer can help you with financing and even give you a better price than the one shown... but not always! No matter who you talk to, we all have our favorites and our opinions. You have to try them out, spend some time with the dealer talking about the good and bad points, and then decide which one is best for YOU. I love Pfaff. I bought my first one in 1989. I also have a little Janome which travels with me. I love it also! I've had very good luck with both as far as performance and durability. Someone else may not have had that experience!
Old 09-22-2010, 12:23 PM

I have a Bernina Artista 730 and I love it. Having said that, I will also say that if I knew then what I know now, I'm not sure I would have bought it. The reason is this: I previously had a Pfaff 1222 (my dau. is using it now), which I bought new in 1977 or 76, I think. It had the dual feed which was so easy to use--you just flip down the lever. I had no idea how much I would miss it. The Bernina has a walking foot, which is great, but the Pfaff's dual feed could be used almost all the time. That was so nice. So, ther's my 2 cents. Happy sewing!
Old 09-22-2010, 12:51 PM

Thanks so much.
Doris
Old 09-22-2010, 02:26 PM

Creative Vision cost around 9000.00 in my neck of the woods. I purchased the CV almost 2 years ago. Since then it has had feed dog problems, a New light board, 2 main boards and other general fixes. I've notice quite a few other CV owners from where I purchased are having the same troubles. If I had the money I would like to try the Babylock or Brother machines.
Old 09-22-2010, 02:33 PM

If you can afford to keep your older machine. And by your new one i would. It never hurts to have a back up incase one has to go to the shop. Even if it just for simole cleaning and service.
Every time I have up graded I have kept my old machines and I'm glad I have. When the grand kids come to sew I have enough machine to go around. I have Pfaff and Brothers