Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Husqvarna Viking & Pfaff machines >

Husqvarna Viking & Pfaff machines

Husqvarna Viking & Pfaff machines

Old 09-22-2010, 03:15 PM

yea Bernina copied it on their newest machine the 830, finally.
Old 09-22-2010, 03:21 PM

I have three Pfaffs; bought my first one in 1968 brand new and it still purrs like the kitty in the window. Bought a Pfaff 2170 almost two years ago and love it. I save the hours by doing only the fancy stuff like embroidery on it and use the 262 for just regular sewing, free motion I do on all three, and I do have an all metal walking foot for the mechanical Pfaffs. My 3rd Pfaff is a Pfaff 130, the black one that came out in the 1950's and it also has the additional "coffee grinder" which is the embroidery attachment on the back. I bought it fully serviced a year ago and it is one tough mama of a machine; even tougher than the 262.

My DREAM MACHINE is the Pfaff Creative Vision 5.5. NOT the 5.0 for the 5.5 has now ironed out many of the 5.0 problems. My dealer considers it an $8000 machine.

Happy sewing.
Old 09-22-2010, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by SheilaS
As a novice quilter, I am looking to update my 32year old Bernina. In the process of researching Husqvarna & Pfaff machines, I read that some of you are very put off these brands, because they are now manufactured in China. I am in Australia and have spoken to several retailers about the change of manufacturing site. There have been no problems with availability of parts or service and everything has been business as usual. One assistant at a large distributor told me that the owner (a qualified sewing machine mechanic) actually totally took apart a new machine, just to check on the quality of build. He was extremely impressed and feels there is no need for concern. So I am looking to buy either the Husqvarna Designer Topaz 30 or the Pfaff Creative 2.0. Having test driven both, I am having difficulty deciding. The Topaz has the bigger hoop, the Sewing Advisor, Sensor system and attachable walking foot. The Pfaff has the IDT (built in dual feed) and similar features and stitches to the Topaz?? The prices are within $A200 as the Husqvarna is on special at the moment. I would really appreciate any feedback that might help me decide!
I have a Pfaff 2170 with IDT. I have used lots of other machines, and while they are all good - that IDT is wonderful!!! Snap it down to use, snap it up if you don't want to. But your stitch selection is sooo much greater that with the walking foot. And you won't ever misplace it! :) For me, it would be a deal breaker!
Old 09-22-2010, 03:29 PM

Husqvarna owns Pfaff now and they are pretty much the same machine (according to a dealer at the show in Paducah). She said the Husqvarna is still the top of the line, that they didn't put all of their technology into the Pfaff line....may be a 'line' (perhaps she wanted to sell me the Husqvarna :-) but for what it's worth....
Old 09-22-2010, 03:50 PM

I used to have a Husqvarna for about 30 years and ended up replacing it with a Pfaff because of the IDT. This has been a big disappointment because even though it is top of the range it has always had problems with communication with computer when it comes to transferring embroidery designs. If you look on the net, you will find that mine is not an isolated problem - seems as though many others have the same issue. It disappoints me because I am now left with very little support except to pay more money to update the software which may or may not work or to buy a different machine. I have little money left to do either, so am saving for another 4 years or so to see what may be available then.All the best with your efforts.
Old 09-22-2010, 08:05 PM

I also would rescue my Viking. I have a Saffire 380 and love it to death.
Old 09-23-2010, 04:00 AM

Don't want to sound dumb, but you all keep talking about IDT; what is it?
Old 09-23-2010, 05:24 AM

I have a Pfaff and love it.
Old 09-23-2010, 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by sewinglady104
I have a Phaff creative machine. It was one of the first machines that came out four years ago. I have had nothing but, trouble with it. The dealer gave three ladies new machines,when they had trouble, but he wouldn't give me one.Now he is out of business and If I have trouble I have to send it to Pfaff. i gave 8,000 for it and I wish I had gotten the new bernina. Oh, well if Pfaff is happy with it I guess I have to be also, but that was alot of money to dough out and have nothing but trouble. Good-luck on your choice.
So sorry you've had problems with your machine. At least you have the 5 year warranty to fall back on. I guess there are going to problems with all machines, but at least Pfaff and Husqvarna have a longer warranty period. Hope your sewing is trouble free from now on.
Old 09-23-2010, 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by Navy Wife
Originally Posted by SheilaS
Originally Posted by Navy Wife
The Creative Touch is the Pfaff version of Bernina 830. There are 2 less expensive ones. Just wanted to give fair warning!
Hi Navywife,
Your comment intrigued me. Pfaff has Creative 2.0, 4.0 & the top of the range Creative Vision, all combination machines with the wide harp, ranging from $A3000 to $10,000. The Bernina 830 is the only combo machine with a wide harp that Bernina does. So could you please explain your comment, I would to save some money on my purchase!
Thanks for your thoughts. You're right about shopping around, some dealers won't budge on the price and others are willing to throw in different feet, embroidery unit case or even knock several hundred off the price. I'm hesitant about my choice because I don't have the best luck with things going wrong. The dealers are spread far and wide in my city and some just sell the machines (with follow up service & lessons), and others are actually quilting shops as well. So they provide a more complete service and alot more classes. Also, I was thinking of getting the quiltering extension table to go with the machine. I thought it might make free motion quilting a bit easier - does it? Is it worth getting?

The Pfaff creative 2.0 and 4.0 are the less expensive machines in the embroidery line. They lack some features of the Creative Touch. There is also the Expressions line which are not embroidery machines. The 3.0 has the wide harp and is called the Quilt Expression. If you will go to Pfaff.com all the machines are shown and their features and differences are listed. I'm sure Bernina has the same thing on their site, as well as Viking and Janome and any other brand of machine. There is one main thing to remember. Any brand of machine is only as good as the dealer you buy it from! Not just for repairs, but classes, information, and extras not included in the original package. Also, the dealer can help you with financing and even give you a better price than the one shown... but not always! No matter who you talk to, we all have our favorites and our opinions. You have to try them out, spend some time with the dealer talking about the good and bad points, and then decide which one is best for YOU. I love Pfaff. I bought my first one in 1989. I also have a little Janome which travels with me. I love it also! I've had very good luck with both as far as performance and durability. Someone else may not have had that experience!