Iron

Old 09-24-2010, 09:21 AM

I bought a Rowenta last year and just love it.
Old 09-24-2010, 09:32 AM

i hate auto shutoff too. If you place the iron flat on one of those silicon sheets it won't shut off. Works like a dream. Just remember to unplug when you are through.

Can't remember where I got that tip. Probably from this board!
Old 09-24-2010, 09:43 AM

I have owned a T-Fal iron since 2001. It still works great!
Old 09-24-2010, 10:00 AM

I bought a Rowenta about 3 years ago and my DH confiscated it...LOL He does his own ironing (thank goodness!) so I'm using my OLD Black and Decker iron I've had forever :)
Old 09-24-2010, 10:21 AM

I had a couple of Rowentas and loved them, but I couldn't find one on sale when I needed it recently. I bought a Shark and I love it!! It get hot and steams so well. Got it at Lowe's at a great price.
Old 09-24-2010, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by knlsmith
Here's my iron story:

Several years ago (over 10) I had hardly any money but needed an iron to iron my clothes. So I walked across town to the dollar store and bought a $5 iron.

I still had that iron, and it worked GREAT, until early this summer. That is when it happend... I dropped my poor iron off the ironing board onto the floor. I almost started crying!

Well, I ran outside and told my hubby what had happened. he told me to get a new one right then. So I went to Walmart. I had no idea there were so many types and prices of irons. The one I had before my $5 one was an antique electric Sunbeam that was given to me.

So I called my hubby and asked how much i should spend? The cheapest one they had was $10. he told me to spend more than that, go ahead, get the best one I could for $50.

Well,,,, that $50 iron only lasted a few weeks.

It was a Sunday afternoon, i had a deadline on a project for the next day. That $50 iron died.

I franticlly called the dollar store to see if they were still open (it was a Sunday). Yes, they were open. i asked her if she had a cheap iron. I told her what had happened. she set the phone down for a few minutes. When she came back she told me she had one for $7 and would put it behind the register for me.

Well, I still have that iron. It's been a few months, but its looking like a long relationship.

And no auto shut off! :)
I sure hope you were able to return the $50 one???
Old 09-24-2010, 01:57 PM

Someone mentioned in the Quilting Board last year sometime about getting a cheap iron. I did! $7.99 Walgreens. Works like a charm. The only thing is that I have to turn it off - it does not have the automatic shut-off!!! But that's ok. It does get quite a bit hotter and I have no trouble with cotton fab at all! Edie
Old 09-24-2010, 03:33 PM

I had a Rowenta and didn't like it. It kept turning off, took a long time to heat up again, and was very heavy. I normally buy one that is at a good price and is lightweight. The heavyweight ones just wear me out.
Old 09-24-2010, 03:56 PM

I bought a Rowenta about 2 years ago and it quit heating within a year. When I contacted Rowenta to see how to send it back they required that it be sent back in the original box with the original packing. Now who is going to save the original box and packing? Needless to say I will not buy another Rowenta. My Black and Decker that I have now I love. The only thing is it uses a LOT of water.

Kiki Myers in NC
Old 09-24-2010, 04:17 PM
Power Poster

I've had good luck with my Rowenta but within my quilting group one quilter brings in an inexpensive iron for us to use and it is much hotten and irons better than my Rowent. Go figure.