Iron

Old 09-24-2010, 04:19 PM

A month ago I bought a Sunbeam iron with a retractable cord at Target($35). I returned it because each time I turned it up on its heel, the steam stopped working when I turned it down again to iron until I banged it on the ironing board a few times. Also, it shut off too often and took too long to reheat. It was also heavier than I like to use once it had water in it.

Unfortunately, I then chose another Sunbeam iron ($18) that seems to have the same problem of needing to be banged on the ironing board a couple of times to get the steam going after it has been resting on its heel. It is lighter weight than the first one I returned and shuts off after a half hour of non-use, both features that I like.

I have an older Black and Decker iron that steams when it is supposed to and shuts off after an hour of non-use.
Old 09-24-2010, 04:31 PM

I got a rowenta for hristmas last year I dont like it I love my shark from Walmart and it is seven years old When I bought my first one I bought two I wore out the first one last year now working on second and together they didnt cost as much as the rowenta
Old 09-24-2010, 05:01 PM

When I moved From Altommonte Springs Florida to Lakeland, my iron of 8+ years came with me. I use it constantly. It hasn't failed me yet, but just in case I have another Proctor-Silex in the closet.
Old 09-24-2010, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by crashnquilt
I bought a Rowenta a few years ago and love it. I had read about the Rowenta spitting and leaking but so far, knock on wood, I have not had that problem. Instead of straight tap water I mix a 50/50 tap/distilled water. This seems to work for me.

I do the same mixture with my Rowenta; it is about 9 years old. If I don't wait at least 2 full minutes for it to preheat when I add water for steam, it spits and sputters and is totally incontinent. As long as I let it preheat, it's happy and so am I.

Josi FL
Old 09-24-2010, 07:43 PM

I just was at the quilt show in San Mateo and the Oliso iron had a booth. I watched and talked to the gal and the price was 30% off. Well I bought my Daughter one and one for me. Daughter is getting it for Christmas and my iron is on the way out. But I haven't used it yet so couldn't tell you anything about it yet.
They use it on Fons & porter and it is funny because when you use it it is hotter than most irons and when you put it down it raises up on feet. Very strange.
I well let you know how it works in a couple of days.
kjym Kathy
Old 09-24-2010, 07:51 PM

I have used many irons, but the one from the dollar store is great! I have used mine for a couple of years and it is as hot today as when I bought it. Try one it is only 15.00 and it stays out it won't shut off so that you have to wait on it to get hot again. Donna Gedeon
Old 09-24-2010, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by cpfrog
Originally Posted by yolanda
Does anyone know where to find an iron made in USA?
Does anyone know where to by ANYTHING made in the USA???
Maybe we should go to China!
Old 09-24-2010, 08:35 PM

When my husband was redoing a room to be my sewing room, the ends of the counter, that were formica, had sticky formica end shaped pieces, with instructions about how to heat them with an iron to apply them. So he just went out and got a Proctoe-Silex iron, for $10. No auto shut off, just a basic iron. He left it in that room and that's what I've been using. It's plugged into an outlet in the iron wall cabinet that has a timer that lasts 30 minutes, and it's nice, when the timer cuts off the electricity to the iron, it also shuts off the light, letting me know it's off. So far, it's working
Old 09-24-2010, 08:56 PM

Go to the dollar store and purchase yourself one as it does not shut off. It cost between 8-15 dollars. I have used mine for several years. Try one if it does not work for you then you have not lost much. Donna Gedeon
Old 09-24-2010, 09:19 PM
Banned

I have had a sum beam for years, but I keep forgetting about things, so about 4 months ago or more, hubby spent money we did not have on a new black and decker, it was about $18. I think, he got it because it shuts off by its self every 8 minutes, it can be a pain, but it heats fast, and I have not burned the house down yet. God bless.