Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Is this cheating? >

Is this cheating?

Is this cheating?

Old 09-25-2010, 03:05 PM

It's not cheating to me. I think it looks beautiful. I am going to try it.
Old 09-25-2010, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by Candace
Not cheating, but the reason we don't use them more is that they don't look great on the quilt back and the 3 quilting layers, moving through the machine doing an intricate design, sometimes can make the design wonky.

I mainly would use decorative stitching on the quilt top before it was sandwiched and then it goes through the machine smoothly. Throw in 3 layers, and not so smoothly:>
I can see how that would happen. I tried a few different stitches on a scrap 'sandwhich' and didn't like the way most of them came out. A lot of them you can't make big enough, and some just get messed up working with three layers. I thought this 'surf stitch' came out pretty well going through three layers.

Although, I tried using a walking foot and it wouldn't work. Had to use what my machine hand book calls a 'special foot.' LOL
Old 09-25-2010, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by sewTinker
I love my machine's decorative stitches. I use them to bind my quilts. I machine stitch it to the back, then decorative stitch it along the edge to the front. This is lovely, btw. :-)
LOVE this idea, sewtinker! Do you have any pics of your bindings done that way? I would love to see how that looks.
Old 09-25-2010, 03:22 PM

Check this out: http://www.crazyshortcutquilts.com/ Marguerita McManus has great info and videos for using your specialty stitches and setting up sewing spaces. You might like it, and your work looks great!
Old 09-25-2010, 03:39 PM

That looks great! Many sewers forget about their decorative stitches and hardly ever use them, me included. I've started using them exclusively to sew my bindings onto my quilts (I carry over the backing fabric to the front for the binding) and love the added decorative look.
Old 09-25-2010, 03:42 PM

Twilliebee - thanks for that website!

Lady - that's beautiful and not cheating!
Old 09-25-2010, 06:44 PM
Power Poster

I love using stitches like that on my binding.
Old 09-25-2010, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by Lady Shivesa
Not cheating, but the reason we don't use them more is that they don't look great on the quilt back and the 3 quilting layers, moving through the machine doing an intricate design, sometimes can make the design wonky.

I mainly would use decorative stitching on the quilt top before it was sandwiched and then it goes through the machine smoothly. Throw in 3 layers, and not so smoothly:>
I can see how that would happen. I tried a few different stitches on a scrap 'sandwhich' and didn't like the way most of them came out. A lot of them you can't make big enough, and some just get messed up working with three layers. I thought this 'surf stitch' came out pretty well going through three layers.

Although, I tried using a walking foot and it wouldn't work. Had to use what my machine hand book calls a 'special foot.' LOL
I have a Janome QC6200, and it does a beautiful job with its walking foot and decorative stitches as the 'quilting' - through the whole fabric sandwich. Have finished lots of quilts this way - even a king size quilt!
Old 09-25-2010, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by LindaM
Originally Posted by Lady Shivesa

I have a Janome QC6200, and it does a beautiful job with its walking foot and decorative stitches as the 'quilting' - through the whole fabric sandwich. Have finished lots of quilts this way - even a king size quilt!
I'm a perfectionist. If I see where the decorative stitch is out of kilter even a little, it bothers me. My Bernina also does a great job, it's just that I'm picky.
Old 09-25-2010, 07:24 PM

If being original and creative is cheating - then....