Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Jo Anne's closing >

Jo Anne's closing

Jo Anne's closing

Old 09-26-2010, 03:52 AM

I heard early in the year that Walmart was thinking of buying JoAnns, could be when they decided to drop their fabric lines, but the deal fell through. I like JoAnns (the personnel in Wellington are great), but I find it pays to be careful re: their fabric, especially the Keepsake Quilting line. A lot is coming from China and is too loosely woven and then heavily sized; for special fabrics I go to the LQS. Fortunately there are two close to me. Going to New England for Thanksgiving; maybe I can talk my daughter into traveling to Keepsake Quilting in NH.
Old 09-26-2010, 04:00 AM

Originally Posted by Daisydoodle
WalMart phased out fabric, now JoAnne's in the area is closing the doors! Saying they are loosing their lease and maybe will relocate. This only leaves a Hancocks, Hoby Lobby and a Quilt Shop for the entire Katy area of Texas. I will be buying more on line!
We have the same issue in the McAllen/Mission area of Texas. Joann's closed. We have Hobby Lobby, Hancock's, and a very expensive fabric store. I'm thinking it may be time to open another fabric store when we spend full time in TX, and make it more of a hobby so I could keep prices low.
Old 09-26-2010, 05:21 AM

Went to JoAnne's Saturday morning, my oh my, what a mess. Most fabric and notions are 30% - 40% off; that is normal for them, with our without a coupon. The best buy was thread, got really nice thread for 50% and 60% off. Had to buy in quantity of 5 / 10 but wow can't beat the end deal. Ended up with Fat Quarters, pattern, 1 bolt end so that was my fling. I know the frustration on coupons with them, only on certain days, not for anything already on sale or marked down. You have to "study" the coupon flyer before shopping. Oh well.
Old 09-26-2010, 05:57 AM

Hancock's of Paducah is online and fabulous. If you need solid colors, just Google Kona for theirs. I love them and even have used them for the backs of quilts. There is a lot out there online and there are sales from time to time and reasonable sites. You won't starve for fabric.
Old 09-26-2010, 06:03 AM

We only have one Joanne's in our area.
Old 09-26-2010, 06:21 AM

There is always the Joann's on Westheimer. I was so sad when the Hancock's closed in Sugar Land because it was a wonderful one. It seems to me that the Hobby Lobby fabric departments have been getting smaller. However, if they open a Super Joann's in Katy, I would gladly drive from Sugar Land to Katy!!! I did that recently anyway...hit Hancock's, Joann's and Garden Ridge. :)
Old 09-26-2010, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by Daisydoodle
Sorry to hear that Donna. Shopping on line is okay, been lucky most of the time, but nothing replaces the feel of fabric in your hands...ahhhhh.
Amen!!!!!
Old 09-26-2010, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by newfiegirl
I heard early in the year that Walmart was thinking of buying JoAnns, could be when they decided to drop their fabric lines, but the deal fell through. I like JoAnns (the personnel in Wellington are great), but I find it pays to be careful re: their fabric, especially the Keepsake Quilting line. A lot is coming from China and is too loosely woven and then heavily sized; for special fabrics I go to the LQS. Fortunately there are two close to me. Going to New England for Thanksgiving; maybe I can talk my daughter into traveling to Keepsake Quilting in NH.
Was on a bus tour up there last year and scheduled for a train ride. We were only five miles away from KQ. Wanted to take a cab over there but couldn't work the schedule right. The train ride was interesting but......... My roommate and I would have rather gone to KQ.
Old 09-26-2010, 06:32 AM

The Walmart in Brenham and in Columbus still has fabric. If you find any other LQS in the Katy area p.m. me with them.
Old 09-26-2010, 06:38 AM

It sounds like JoAnn's is a lot like the Fabricland we have in Ontario, Canada. Same issues, same closing/reopening of stores, same quality differences, same difference in quality of stores. It's the main reason I go to my LQS most often.