Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
what scissors do you like >

what scissors do you like

what scissors do you like

Old 09-26-2010, 12:20 PM
Power Poster

A friend introduced me to Kai scissors, and I bought them online in several different sizes. I've also seen them at quilt shows. They're great!
Old 09-26-2010, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by lab fairy
Originally Posted by peaceandjoy
I'm another Gingher lover!

For "general purpose/scrapping/crafting," I'd go with the 5". The blade is still a reasonable length, and I find the fingers to be more comfortable than my 4" ones.

If she doesn't need the longer blade, I wouldn't go with the 8". They are heavier, and don't get into tight spots as well as a smaller scissor. Love my 8" for fabric, though.
Is scrapping somthing other than cutting fabric? :shock: My ginghers are only allowed to touch fabric. I use a less expensive scissor for most of my crafting but since that usually involves wires and soldering irons I think you can guess why. :-)
I think she's talking about scrapbooking, so cutting paper.
Old 09-26-2010, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by gale
Originally Posted by lab fairy
Originally Posted by peaceandjoy
I'm another Gingher lover!

For "general purpose/scrapping/crafting," I'd go with the 5". The blade is still a reasonable length, and I find the fingers to be more comfortable than my 4" ones.

If she doesn't need the longer blade, I wouldn't go with the 8". They are heavier, and don't get into tight spots as well as a smaller scissor. Love my 8" for fabric, though.
Is scrapping somthing other than cutting fabric? :shock: My ginghers are only allowed to touch fabric. I use a less expensive scissor for most of my crafting but since that usually involves wires and soldering irons I think you can guess why. :-)
I think she's talking about scrapbooking, so cutting paper.
Thank you for clearing that up for me. I've never seen that term used for anything other than in a professional capacity. I had visions of cutting leftover pieces of fabric into smaller pieces. :oops: Isn't it amazing how a little terminology can trip you up?
Old 09-26-2010, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by Olivia's Grammy
Ginghers are the best, but then I've never met a scissor I didn't like. I have about 200 pairs.
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!! AND THEN SOME, RIGHT??????? I hear you, Olivia's Grammy, just don't use my GOOD ONES FOR PAPER, mgghgh-h-gh-gh-! RIGHT? Kathy sfire55
Old 09-26-2010, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by sfire55
Originally Posted by Olivia's Grammy
Ginghers are the best, but then I've never met a scissor I didn't like. I have about 200 pairs.
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!! AND THEN SOME, RIGHT??????? I hear you, Olivia's Grammy, just don't use my GOOD ONES FOR PAPER, mgghgh-h-gh-gh-! RIGHT? Kathy sfire55
Right.I stopped counting at 200. I have about 10 pairs just for paper and crafts. The have a ribbon on the handle so everyone know which is which.
Old 09-26-2010, 06:36 PM

I love my Ginger scissors, but the ones I use most often are my little Fiskars with the orange handles.
Old 09-26-2010, 07:40 PM

If she does paper crafts, I highly recommend Cutter Bee's scissors. They are available at craft stores and some Walmarts. Super sharp...great for small paper projects.

I'm also in the process of researching fabric scissors so this post helped me out a lot!

Michelle
Old 09-26-2010, 07:43 PM

I'm a gingher girl! Have had one pair for over 40 years and have only had to have them sharpened 2x, of course they never cut anything but cloth.
Old 09-26-2010, 08:01 PM
Power Poster

I use the friskers, and they work pretty good. I would love to try some Ginghers though, afte reading this!
Old 09-26-2010, 08:02 PM

for anything sewing related I use ginghers of various sizes but for anything with my scrapbooking I use the small Elan brand...the small ones with the wide finger openings are awesome for scrapping :)