Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Do quilters also preserve fruit and veggies? >

Do quilters also preserve fruit and veggies?

Do quilters also preserve fruit and veggies?

Old 09-26-2010, 12:12 PM
Power Poster

Looks good and pretty. Does anyone have a recipe for "refigerator sweet pickles"? they have garlic and sugar vinegar, salt,blk pepper they keep for up to 1 year in refrig. or you can can them. Lost my copy of recipe.
Old 09-26-2010, 02:57 PM

I didnt get to can as much as usual this year. Our garden did not do well , tomatoes cucs did not make at all. Lots of peppers,both hot and sweet,okra and corn tho so will do with those. lol
Old 09-26-2010, 03:20 PM

Yes, yes, yes. Last year in our area we had the late tomato blight -- never had anything like it before. I was down to about 3 quarts of whole tomatoes, nothing else in my pantry. As tired as I am of canning tomatoes I'm still doing, whole tomatoes, salsa, (as much as I said I wouldn't) spagetti sauce and also just a plain tomato sauce. I learned last year.

We had an abundance of cucumbers and landed up throwing bags of them over the hill. Luckily we didn't need them since we had lots of them from the previous years.

Bean plants kept getting eaten by ground hogs. Have beans yet so no problem. No cauliflower since the plants we bought listed as cauliflover turned out to be cabbage.

Broccoli didn't do well this year with a dry summer.

All in all. Tomatoes turned out great. Radishes also but we haven't ate them all yet.
Old 09-26-2010, 03:44 PM

Yes I can and freeze what I have time for; the pantry is full inspite of the blight on the tomatoes this year. Just finished the bean crop today...canned the "cornfield beans" with salt pork for better flavor. Still have 92 hills of sweet potatoes to dig. Have not been successful with pickles; may be next year. Too much rain this year.

Chickens are starting to lay fresh eggs. But we have to "hunt" for them as they are free ranging chickens.

Tomato soup
[ATTACH=CONFIG]104095[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-104090.jpe
Views:	15
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	104095  
Old 09-26-2010, 03:51 PM

I have spent most of my life waiting for spring. I love to garden, both veggies and flowers. Ur peaches r beautiful. Freezing, canning, jams, it doesn't really matter if u do one or do them all...just do something! cause it makes u think ur " King of the World and Wonder Woman " when ur done! plus it's so fun:) and if u mess up, just pour jars over the fence and write " yuck" by the recipe u used.
Old 09-26-2010, 04:23 PM

Yep, I do canning also, mostly fruit and jelly/jam now, got my daughter in law started a few years ago, she has a huge garden and is now canning everything, doesn't really need to, but just enjoys the process and standing back and looking at the final result of her work, it is rewarding knowing YOU did all that and it's something the whole family can enjoy.

We canned a lot when I was still at home, grew up helping Mom every summer fill the pantry with fruit and vegetables for the winter, it was always so good...
Old 09-26-2010, 04:54 PM

I love fig preserves, are they hard to make? Would DH share his recipe?? DH and I did some apple jelly and a apple preserve not bad for the 1st time out. Getting into it.. Great to know what you put in the food you eat.
ALA
Old 09-26-2010, 04:55 PM

I use to can and freeze both, but since we moved to Custer, I have no space for a garden, so buy from those that do. Sure would love my old garden again.
Old 09-26-2010, 05:05 PM

I love to can and freeze, and make jelly. I just bought a bushel of windfalls for applesauce and jelly, need to get more jars because I'm running out now. Did dilly beans, sweet cauliflower pickles, pickled peppers, green beans, tomatoes, and plenty of raspberry and blackberry jam. I just got a dehydrator- would like to try drying some apples for pies in winter.
Old 09-26-2010, 05:57 PM

I wish I knew how to can or knew someone that did so they could teach me. That is something that I have wanted to learn, but, I have to admit, I don't like cooking much, but I do like fresh food and I do like canned food especially when its gifted. Thanks for sharing your bounty, it looks delicious.