Iron

Old 09-25-2010, 04:01 AM

I did exactly the same thing. My Rowenta of many many years finally wasn't heating very well so I checked out a new Rowenta at Costco and it was so heavy. I saw the Shark brand sitting on the shelf and it was really light. So for $26 I bought it knowing Costco will take back anything that you are unhappy with. So far I am happy with it. I don't do much ironing other than for sewing so we will see.
Old 09-25-2010, 04:40 AM

Am I imagining things? Today's irons don't get as hot as the ones made in the "olden days". LOL. I have been complaining for some time that it takes way too long to get the wrinkles out of cotton. Come on now....we've been wearing cotton and quilting long enough that the manufacturers should get it...there I feel better now that I've vented.
Old 09-25-2010, 06:26 AM

I have a black in decker iron for about 5 years now. DH got it for me for a present. The one I was using was me giving shocks. He got one with an auto shut off with good reason. Mostly so we don't have to look for a new home.
But been wanting to get the Oliso.
Has anyone had or have one?
Old 09-25-2010, 06:32 AM

I do not have the oliso but I want it, although I had the opportunity to get one but I want the yellow one and it is still too expensive for me. I donate quilts to a childrens home so I donate every quilt I make. I love the ability to pick up the iron to press and it be hot when I do so. I do not like spiting of water on my fabric and That is why I love my iron from the dollar store. It stays on and is hot when I pick it up. I have several irons to use but I revert to my dollar store iron. I have had irons drop on floor but when my dollar store iron drops it is still great when I pick it up again. I only use it for my cottons in quilting. Get one try it and only use for the need to have a hot iron.
Donna Gedeon
Old 09-25-2010, 12:38 PM

I found out that using tap water that has water softner doesn't work in any iron. It will cause spitting, and burn out the element. I've had inexpensive to cheap ones, and the drinking plain water at the grocery stores keeps the irons working the best. My friend has a professional Rowenta for 15 yrs that works great by using the cheap water, and not tap water.
Old 09-25-2010, 12:46 PM

I

had two Rowentas and now I have a cheap one and I love it
This one does het up nice.
Old 09-26-2010, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by cpfrog
Originally Posted by yolanda
Does anyone know where to find an iron made in USA?
Does anyone know where to by ANYTHING made in the USA???
They probably sell USA ones in China . LOL Sorry, couldn't resist.
Old 09-26-2010, 08:29 AM

Oreck is cordless and made in USA
Donna Gedeon Aurora Colorado
Old 09-26-2010, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by MommaDorian
I'm finding that my iron isn't as hot as it used to be. It doesn't get wrinkles out of cotton very well. I guess I'm wearing it out. Is there a brand that works better with quilting, ie. getting hotter?

Thanks
Just use "Best Press" spray and you will see a difference.
Old 09-26-2010, 06:47 PM

Best press is great but if you spray it on photo's on labels for quilts do not use that spray on the photo as it will make the writing go away. Donna Gedeon Aurora Colorado