Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Jo Anne's closing >

Jo Anne's closing

Jo Anne's closing

Old 09-26-2010, 08:34 PM

In the 80's and 90's when I lived and taught school in West Houston I worked week-ends and evenings at the Katy area JoAnns. They were reputed to be the highest volume store in the Houston area, one reason being that people drove in from the small towns west of Houston. I can remember having to "herd" people out the door at 9pm and on Saturday I would often not be able to leave the cutting table from 9am to 2pm due to the amount of customers. And I might say I could cut fabric very fast and accurately so the long lines weren't due to the cutters being slow. I enjoyed my time there and hope they are relocating as a Super Store and are still enjoying a good customer base. I miss all the fabric and quilt stores in the Houston area and also the Houston Quilt Festival but sure don't miss the traffic and humidity.
Old 09-26-2010, 08:42 PM

Well, there are some things that are constant in Houston...the traffic and humidity! :) I haven't been to the Quilt Show in several years, so I am really looking forward to it this year. I have been busy raising kids, but since my two oldest daughters got married this year, the nest has emptied a little and I have some extra space. Sewing is filling the little hole that has been left in my heart. I am sure in time there will be grandbabies! :)

Originally Posted by greensleeves
In the 80's and 90's when I lived and taught school in West Houston I worked week-ends and evenings at the Katy area JoAnns. They were reputed to be the highest volume store in the Houston area, one reason being that people drove in from the small towns west of Houston. I can remember having to "herd" people out the door at 9pm and on Saturday I would often not be able to leave the cutting table from 9am to 2pm due to the amount of customers. And I might say I could cut fabric very fast and accurately so the long lines weren't due to the cutters being slow. I enjoyed my time there and hope they are relocating as a Super Store and are still enjoying a good customer base. I miss all the fabric and quilt stores in the Houston area and also the Houston Quilt Festival but sure don't miss the traffic and humidity.
Old 09-26-2010, 08:44 PM

Just read Alondra's post about the Fry Rd store so I guess it has changed a lot since I worked there. Sorry about that because we had a lot of quilters and dressmakers always coming in with questions and then returning with their beautiful finished work. The success of any business is always friendly customer service, too bad things have changed.
Old 09-26-2010, 08:45 PM

I guess I must be very lucky to have 3 JoAnns within 15-30 minutes from me and probably 3-4 LQS within the same distance, plus 1 Walmart that still has fabric !!
Old 09-26-2010, 09:05 PM

Was in Dallas last March for the Quilt Show and went to Joann's Superstore in Plano. It did take a while to get our fabric cut--about as long as you stand in a Walmart check out lane.:( but when we went through the cashier she took all the sheets of coupons we had, scanned them all and we were automatically given the best percent off deal for any purchase the coupon would work with. Nice !! Then we went to Hancock's not too far away and was told they would also honor any of our Joann's coupons. What a deal! What a great trip! And the quilt show was fabulous too!
Old 09-26-2010, 09:10 PM

And baby quilts to make for sure.

[quote=PKWard]Well, there are some things that are constant in Houston...the traffic and humidity! :) I haven't been to the Quilt Show in several years, so I am really looking forward to it this year. I have been busy raising kids, but since my two oldest daughters got married this year, the nest has emptied a little and I have some extra space. Sewing is filling the little hole that has been left in my heart. I am sure in time there will be grandbabies! :)
Old 09-26-2010, 09:44 PM

Oh Wow.......sorry you're losing JoAnn's and the fabric in Walmart. Where I live (Upper Peninsula of Michigan) we still have both of these.
Old 09-26-2010, 09:52 PM

One of our Wal-Marts still sell fabric. Al;l the walmarts in this area closed down the fabrics but the manager of this walmart got to keep the fabric dept. cause it sold alot of material so I am thankful for that.

Our Joann's and Hobby Lobby are across the street from each other so thats convient!
Old 09-26-2010, 09:52 PM
lue

Not sure how close you are to Dallas but I found an absolutely WONDERFUL fabric store in Dallas in the wholesale shopping area on Harry Hines Blvd. I was visiting Dallas & had only an hour before leaving for the airport & could have stayed all day! The store is HUGE and the most expensive quilt fabrics were $2.50-4.50 per yard (including batiks). Great quality & amazing colors! The store is olden D'or Fabrics at 10795 Harry Hines - Dallas 75220. Phone: 214 351 2339.
Old 09-26-2010, 10:49 PM

I too have found that the coupons are rather difficult to use in that the items wanted are usually the ones on sale, for less than the coupon amount, so this is frustrating. One good thing is that we have both a Hancock's and Joann's here, and they do take each other's coupons, so this is a plus. And true, it seems the coupon a person wants to use is the one that is not good until another day. I suppose it is some sort of marketing ploy to keep people coming back to the store more than once, thinking you will buy extra items when you return.