Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What do you call ............ >

What do you call ............

What do you call ............

Old 09-27-2010, 07:06 AM

I grew up drinking "cokes" no matter what flavor (usually orange!) Now I ask William to pick up some "soda" or "pop".

We had an icebox or a fridge...and the ice chest was the freezer.

I sit on a couch or loveseat, but have sat on sofas, divans, and davenports.

Mom was adamant about "washing" and "windows" but my ex's family all warshed their winders...

And William loves "Eye-talian" food...

If we have a big meal at noon, we have dinner, and then supper later...if it's a sandwich at noon, then we're doing lunch with dinner later... My mom maintained that dinner was at 5pm, and supper was later...say 8 or 9...
Old 09-27-2010, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by Rhonda
This is one explanation I found for fliver. All the sites refered to the Model T.

IF you'd ever heard a Model T running you'd know... they have a nasal wheezie sound like "fliver fliver fliver" over and over. They were refered to as "flivers" because of it and it has been thus since. Go to an antique auto show sometime and listen to one. You'll have to smile !!!

some of the comments refered to an old dilapidated car or airplane. Interesting word!!
I've heard "flat as a flitter" don't know what the heck a flitter is either!
Old 09-27-2010, 07:17 AM

we used a icebox in our home. it was great until we forgot to empty the water pan.but then the floor got mopped so it wasn't all bad!! I am from Ohio but have lived in s.c. for over 30 years.but we still drink POP.
Old 09-27-2010, 07:18 AM

I hang my clothes on a hanger but my exhusband called it a "rack". I use a spapula to take cookies off the pan but he called it a "egg turner".

If you have to go to the bathroom real bad you need to " pee like a russian race horse".

Its raining cats and dogs. What does that really mean having to many puppies and kitties???? I don't know but have said it all my life to refer to a heavy rain.

No matter if I am living inside the city limits or on a country road if I leave the house I'm " going to town".
Old 09-27-2010, 07:26 AM

We actually do have an old ice box in my mom's room, half the time that's what I call the fridge now.

The old days before refrigerated ac's we had water cooler's or swamp cooler's.

Dinner is lunch time, supper is the night meal.

Lots of folks referred to beer as Colorado Kool Aid.
Old 09-27-2010, 07:26 AM

We have a sofa or couch depending on what comes out when saying it. We drink soda. We also drink wooder, not water. I called the place under your arm an arm pit, my DH called it an underarm. Our poor son got confused and called it under pit. It stuck. My dad called a rubberband a gumband and a paperbag a poke. My mom warshed her dishes in the zinc.
Old 09-27-2010, 07:32 AM

My aunt called the couch a settee. :shock:
Old 09-27-2010, 07:32 AM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

Originally Posted by Suzan Larrimore
We have a sofa or couch depending on what comes out when saying it. We drink soda. We also drink wooder, not water. I called the place under your arm an arm pit, my DH called it an underarm. Our poor son got confused and called it under pit. It stuck. My dad called a rubberband a gumband and a paperbag a poke. My mom warshed her dishes in the zinc.
My daughter calls it her underpit.. I drink soda, but ask hubby to bring me pop and he knows to get a Pepsi, My SUV is a truck, I live off a gravel road and we use the sofa to sit and the couch to lay on.
Old 09-27-2010, 07:34 AM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Hutch, sideboard, buffet? To me it's a sideboard.

Country fried steak or Chicken Fried steak is the same except in TX where it's always called chicken fried. (I guess as opposed to catfish fried. Or okra fried. Or maybe even French fried.)

Sack, poke, bag, satchel? My ex always toted stuff in a poke, but I usually carried it in a bag.

Then again, in some parts of TX, they "carry mama to the doctor/church/store/Aunt Jean's"...doesn't matter if she weighs 300 lbs or not, they "carry" her! (OWw!)

Soda, pop, drink, cola to me is nearly always a regular Coke, with ice, in a glass, or "go cup" from a fountain/drive-in.

Movie, film, flick, theater? Movie here. "Theater" is for live performances.

Frigidaire, ice box, frige, refrigerator, cooler? I mostly say 'frige'.

Whole-house-fan vs swamp cooler? First heard the evaporative cooler in my daughter's newly-built house called "swamp cooler" when I visited her in El Paso in June. As it was 100 degrees with no shade, and there was not a single swamp for hundreds of miles around, I just did not get it!! They put in AC within the year, LOL!

Jan in VA
Old 09-27-2010, 07:39 AM
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

Rhonda it's called a ice box because they used to put ice blocks in the Container on the bottom to keep the food cold. Correct me if I am wrong please. I know didn't give a very good discritption of it.