Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Jo Anne's closing >

Jo Anne's closing

Jo Anne's closing

Old 09-27-2010, 07:19 PM

LQS means local quilt shop
Old 09-27-2010, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by Daisydoodle
Sounds good. One woman said she heard that "if" they reopen it will be a "super JoAnne's". Seems that in other parts of the country they have started making larger stores. We will wait and see, meantime, sewing season is upon us for the holidays. Will trip into Hobby Lobby to see what is available. Using their coupons helps with batting.
The Joann's close to my home closed several years ago. The Hancocks all over Michigan closed many years ago. That leaves me with an LQS with a very bad rep & a "SUPER Joann's about 15 miles away. The only thing 'super' about the store is all the NON-fabric/sewing merchandise that they stock! I can even buy a flower pot there!? & baby socks!? But they cut down on their calico's which really disappointed me. Now we have a Hobby Lobby about 30 miles away but I didn't think much about the quality of their fabrics. I agree with buying fabric online. I bought some for my DH quilt & it was supposed to be 45" wide but after removing selvedges, was actually 41"!! Needless to say, I had to piece the back! I was furious! It was quite expensive, too! Most of the WalMart's have discontinued fabrics & I noticed that their prices went up & quality went down! Some of the same fabric I bought at Joann's was .50-$1.00 more /yd at WalMArt! I was shocked! I go to another QS & buy their 'sale' or remnant fabrics. They put 2-2 1/2 yds in a 'remnant!! WOW But they are about 35-40 miles away. just can't win! ;-)
Old 09-27-2010, 09:36 PM
Banned

I am sorry your store is closing. God bless.
Old 09-28-2010, 03:19 AM

I hate to hear any fabric store closing too, and I am not too crazy in ordering fabric online, which I haven't yet , oh dear, does that mean we aren't sewing anymore, anything too other than quilts. here comes egor OH me, oh my!
Old 09-28-2010, 05:45 AM

I have not been happy with our Joann's store for a while. They seem to have more and more crafty stuff and less fabric. And with the help getting fewer hours the store is always a mess. This past weekend I went to the store and couldn't find any of the fabric I was looking for. I noticed that a couple of the racks of fabric had been removed and when I commented to the cashier she said they consolidated the fabric section but had not taken anything out. Supposedly they are going to expand soon. If so....I can't wait. Other than Joann's there are just a couple of expensive quilting stores.

judyjo
Old 09-28-2010, 08:46 AM

WalMart phased out fabric, now JoAnne's in the area is closing the doors! Saying they are loosing their lease and maybe will relocate. This only leaves a Hancocks, Hoby Lobby and a Quilt Shop for the entire Katy area of Texas. I will be buying more on line!
Daisydoodle,
Don't lose hope for your Joann's !! ... I just heard last week that our Joann's (in Sugar Land) is going to move early next year & reopen in a new location here on the SW Freeway. It will also be a Superstore ! Hopefully yours will be doing the same ?!?! :)
Old 09-28-2010, 01:48 PM

I'm am going to Joann's in Sugar Land either tonight or tomorrow...I'm going to see if I can get the scoop! On 59 would be so much closer for me! :)

Originally Posted by TexasGurl
WalMart phased out fabric, now JoAnne's in the area is closing the doors! Saying they are loosing their lease and maybe will relocate. This only leaves a Hancocks, Hoby Lobby and a Quilt Shop for the entire Katy area of Texas. I will be buying more on line!
Daisydoodle,
Don't lose hope for your Joann's !! ... I just heard last week that our Joann's (in Sugar Land) is going to move early next year & reopen in a new location here on the SW Freeway. It will also be a Superstore ! Hopefully yours will be doing the same ?!?! :)
:D :D :D :D
Old 09-28-2010, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by TexasGurl
Daisydoodle,
That is what is being said, to open a super store in Katy...somewhere. There is one on Westheimer near Dairy Ashford, the last time I was there though it was pretty dirty. The manager didn't have the staff pick up or clean anything, it was a challenge just looking for something. We can hope for a nice one on 59, if it is between Rosenburg and SugarLand would be cool
Old 09-28-2010, 06:26 PM

Okay...I was just at Joann's in Sugar Land, so I asked them. They are moving into the old Circuit City space in the shopping center with Lowe's, Toys R Us and Academy. They will be liquidating their current location in February and re-opening at the new location in March...YAY!!! She said more fabric, more crafts, a framing area and room for classes. It's a Super Joann's. :)
Old 09-29-2010, 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by PKWard
Okay...I was just at Joann's in Sugar Land, so I asked them. They are moving into the old Circuit City space in the shopping center with Lowe's, Toys R Us and Academy. They will be liquidating their current location in February and re-opening at the new location in March...YAY!!! She said more fabric, more crafts, a framing area and room for classes. It's a Super Joann's. :)
Thanks!! That is good news. SugarLand is an hour away but worth the trip if they have everything. Have a great day!