Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
what scissors do you like >

what scissors do you like

what scissors do you like

Old 09-29-2010, 05:22 AM

I like Ginghers and Mundial. I use both.

BTW, what is the pattern name of your red, white and blue quilt and where did you get it? It is wonderful.
Old 09-29-2010, 08:45 AM
Bev

Originally Posted by Icandothat
Originally Posted by Bev
Originally Posted by Icandothat
Originally Posted by dunster
A friend introduced me to Kai scissors, and I bought them online in several different sizes. I've also seen them at quilt shows. They're great!
I love....love...love my Kai scissors.They are soooo sharp.
But they're terribly expensive aren't they? Can you tell me what makes the difference between them and other good quality scissors?

My Kai scissors were less than $20.00, and they have free shipping. I have never sharpened them. They are razer sharp.
I love how they grip the fabric as I cut with them. My next Kai purchase will be a rotary cutter.

8-)
Funny, every time the discussion of scissors comes up with my quiltey friends they all mention how good Kai are, but how expensive. I never bothered to look them up since I have so many scissors already, but I can see they aren't any more expensive than Gingher. I think a pair of the bent handle will go on my Christmas wish list this year
Thanks.

8-)
Old 09-29-2010, 10:18 AM

lol ya all are too darned funny .. I use Ginghars and have for years. (love the evil twin quote, I use that evil twin part all the time !!LOL)
Old 09-29-2010, 01:01 PM

Chasing Hawk, I like your style. Where were you when I needed suggestions? :)
Old 09-29-2010, 01:16 PM

I was never real picky about my scissors until I bought and tried Kai. I love them. I got mine at the Houston Quilt Festival and I won't pass by their booth this year, that's for sure. I'm sure I'll find another pair that I just can't live without. I have a small pr. and the larger pair with a 5 or 6" blade.
Old 09-29-2010, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by Olivia's Grammy
Ginghers are the best, but then I've never met a scissor I didn't like. I have about 200 pairs.
I love my Ginghers, but I don't have 200 pairs. :lol: I have my original pair that was bought in the seventies. I also have my mom's Ginghers that I hide from all the people looking for something to cut paper with.

My paper scissors are the Fischers (sp?) that were once used on fabric. I also have my college Singers that have held a nice edge. They've been resharpened several times over the years. For snipping thread I have a nice pair of embroidery scissors and a little pair of cuticle scissors.
Old 09-29-2010, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by quilter 1234
I would like to buy my daughter in law a pair of scissors for Christmas... any suggestions as to what is best. Joann's has a wonderful sale right now. My DIL is not a quilter... more of a crafter and seamstress at this point... Any help is greatly appreciated. Quilter 1234
I have about 3 different sizes of Ghingers & love them but be careful.....Only ONE blade is supposed to be sharpened! I took mine to a scissor sharpener at Hancock's, he ruined them by sharpening both blades. I had to buy a new pair! 8" sewing scissors. They are expensive but worth it. :-D
Old 09-29-2010, 07:05 PM
Power Poster

Ginghers for sure.
Old 09-29-2010, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by sewin'sam
I would like to buy my daughter in law a pair of scissors for Christmas... any suggestions as to what is best. Joann's has a wonderful sale right now. My DIL is not a quilter... more of a crafter and seamstress at this point... Any help is greatly appreciated. Quilter 1234
I have about 3 different sizes of Ghingers & love them but be careful.....Only ONE blade is supposed to be sharpened! I took mine to a scissor sharpener at Hancock's, he ruined them by sharpening both blades. I had to buy a new pair! 8" sewing scissors. They are expensive but worth it. :-D
Hmmm, didn't know that!
Old 09-29-2010, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by GailG
Originally Posted by sewin'sam
Hmmm, didn't know that!
I think it was only the big dresssmaker shears, I have an 8" pair & an embroidery pair & they don't say that on the info??