Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Cell Phone Use and Driving? >

Cell Phone Use and Driving?

Cell Phone Use and Driving?

Old 10-01-2010, 07:02 PM

Maybe one day the car manufacturers will figure out how to make cars that don't lull us into forgetting that we are hurtling along at high speed and not sitting comfortably in our living room. So many people "live" in their cars and new vehicles are just so comfortable that we no longer consider that fact that we're moving just as fast as the vehicle.

Driving is a serious activity that needs alertness; somewhere we lost that reminder. Pull over and stay alive.

.....and that's my lecture for today!
Old 10-01-2010, 07:34 PM
Power Poster

Please lets stay on topic and not resort to taking personal jabs at fellow board members , it adds nothing constructive to the conversation :lol:
Old 10-01-2010, 07:56 PM
Power Poster

I did not start this thread to have it degenerate into unpleasant comments. Please remember we are here to support not to tear down. THIS THREAD WILL GET LOCKED IF EVERYONE CAN'T BE NICE!!!

We are all entitled to our opinion but keep it clean please. I started this thread because I wanted to know if Iowa has banned cellphone use or not.

My DD does live in her car due to the demands on her by her children who have medical issues and her responsiblities to her DH's CHiro Clinic and inlaws and other responsiblities.

If you don't have those kind of responsibilies that are life threatening then you can't understand some people do NEED to be available at all times. Whether she should use a hands free version -- I agree that would be a better situation. but not everyone has the luxory of being unavailable. My DH has medical conditions that means I have to be able to talk to him and check on him while I am gone. If he has a seizure I need to know to get him help. So when I do have to be gone for a little while I use my cell phone to check on him and I have to be able to get calls from him if he has fallen and needs help.

so to say in general that all drivers should not have access to a cell phone is not reality. There are needs that the cell phone fills for people beyond chatting. Mine is a lifeline incase my DD needs me to meet her at the hosp with one of the kids or if my DH needs help. He can't walk well so we also make sure we have at least one cell with us at all times when we go to town.

So please everyone keep in mind that everyone has differant needs and there are more than one side to things.

In my opinion cell phones are only dangerous when the user does not use common sense. If accidents happen then it was pilot error. If they are careless with the phone use then bad things can happen.

But not everyone is careless behind the wheel. I hate generalizations. There is never a time when all people do the same thing. There will always be people who abuse the rules.
Old 10-01-2010, 08:29 PM

I don't know about the whole state, but our little community has banned texting while driving. Last year, a 17 year old girl went off a bridge here and was killed instantly. She had been texting her mother that she would be home in a few minutes and that she loved her. This was at 6:00PM in broad daylight.
A month later an 18 year old boy was killed instantly at 3:00AM when he hit a tree head on. He had been texting his girlfriend.
Last year I was t-boned by a 65 year old woman who was texting in her car with her dog in her lap with his head out the window. She never saw me!!! Thank the Lord above no serious injuries. Just sayin.
Old 10-01-2010, 10:40 PM

Okla. is trying to pass a law where texting while driving is banned, if they haven't already. I think that is okay. My DH pulls over if he recieves or needs to text someone. But that is just him. I cannot even text on my cell that was made back when we had dinosaurs.LOL But I personally do not have to be available by phone at all times either. All of our needs are very different. And IMHO we all should use a vehicle responsibly. They can be deadly.
Old 10-01-2010, 11:47 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Rhonda
I did not start this thread to have it degenerate into unpleasant comments. Please remember we are here to support not to tear down. THIS THREAD WILL GET LOCKED IF EVERYONE CAN'T BE NICE!!!

I started this thread because I wanted to know if Iowa has banned cellphone use or not.
In Iowa, drivers with restricted licenses (normally minors) are forbidden to use cell phones while driving. texting while driving has been outlawed for all drivers. here's a link to the law as signed by the Governor:

http://coolice.legis.state.ia.us/lin...lls/HF2456.pdf
Old 10-02-2010, 03:44 AM

I think all states should ban the use of cell phones while driving. I have had some near accidents because of people using their cell phones.
Old 10-02-2010, 05:37 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
Originally Posted by Rhonda

I started this thread because I wanted to know if Iowa has banned cellphone use or not.
In Iowa, drivers with restricted licenses (normally minors) are forbidden to use cell phones while driving. texting while driving has been outlawed for all drivers. here's a link to the law as signed by the Governor:

http://coolice.legis.state.ia.us/lin...lls/HF2456.pdf
Thanks Patrice. I did see some about the texting but didn't see anything definitive about cell use for everyone. My DH was positive a law had been passed to cover all cell phone use but I don't think that is right. I was thinking about this yesterday and thought I should call the police dept and ask! Duh! But I haven't done that yet.
Old 10-02-2010, 05:41 AM

In Japan, cell phone use is banned on public transportation, and I think while driving. I think that makes a lot of sense.

I'm a bit of a hard case when it comes to electronic distractions. When my niece and nephews visit, they are not allowed to use their cell phones or hand held games, nor are they allowed access to our home computers or our phones. If they complain that it isn't fair, they are sent to the family van, where they can be rude all they like.

I carry a cell phone because I'm disabled, and when I drive, its turned off. Its used to check in so Hubby knows where I am, that kind of thing. Phones for me are too distracting, and not everyone has this problem.

That said, I'm all for fining drivers who text and use cell phones without clear medical reasons heavily, up to and including having their license suspended or revoked, car impounded, the whole works, including going to jail if someone is killed through their negligence. If that happened often enough, people would knock it off. :)
Old 10-02-2010, 05:58 AM

Im sorry but I am a old fuddy duddy. If the phone call is so important,stay home and take it or make it. It is just stupid looking to me for someone to walking around or driving and talking on the phone. My soap box for the day and fortunately a short on for a change. lol