Were you a smoker

Old 10-02-2010, 02:00 PM
Power Poster

My Grandfather died of lung cancer in '85 and I was sporting a 1 1/2 pack-a-day habit myself at that time. It took me three months after until one day I woke up and declared to Pat that I was done. I cleaned out all the paraphanelia, tossed all of the leftover cigarettes, and really really meant it that time. I went cold turkey. That was November of '85 and I have not had a single ciggy since.
Old 10-02-2010, 02:27 PM

I smoked for 30 years. Started very very young. Heck they were available to me. But I quit 20 years ago. I had a friend who is as stubborn as I am, and she had quit, so I figured, if she can do it so can I. And I did. Cold turkey. But I can't convince my DH to quit. And harping on him doesn't help. So I told him, I have more insurance on him, than he has on me. So he can kill himself if he wants to. I congratulate all of you who have quit and for those of you who haven't...what can I say....
Old 10-02-2010, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by CarrieAnne
I started smoking as a kid. 14!!!!!!! Isnt that horrible? Come from a LONG line of smokers, so no one really saw a problem with it in our family. Til, they all started havin heart attack so YOUNG. I stopped when I was 17, got pregnant. I wasnt a good teenager, was I? But anyhow, luckily, I had morning sickness SO bad, I couldnt smoke anyhow. Even the smell made me ill, so I guess I go lucky that way. Never picked them up again.
My Parents, Grandparents, and just recently my Sister have given it up. Sh used Chantrex, I think its called?
BF gave it up 9 years ago, after being hypnotised. It took 4 times, and it really worked!
Afterr 50+ yrs., I made up my mind that that was enough. I had tried a few times before but had no luck. Finally got a prescription for Chantix. That did it. I was cured before the 1st wk. was over. I do miss them when having my coffee but the urge is getting weaker by the day. One yr. ago today and I feel great. Good luck. Oh, yes, I don't feel guilty when I buy fabric that I don't really need. I am using my cig money. LOL
Old 10-02-2010, 03:57 PM

Congratulations to you who quit.

I have always been smoke free even though I came from a smoking family.

I am so happy they made the restaurants and public places here snoke free....I hated my clothes smelling like smoke after eating out in a restaurant. When I came home I could just smell the smoke reeking off my clothes.
Old 10-02-2010, 04:10 PM

I haven't smoked in over a year, after a 40+ year habit. I still have times when I want a cigarette. I told a close friend that I'm still a smoker, but I don't smoke. Anybody else feel like that?

Sue
Old 10-02-2010, 04:47 PM

I smoked for 39 years 2-3 packs a day. when I started pall malls were $1.85 a carton. I quit 15 years ago or I wouldn't be here today
Old 10-02-2010, 04:48 PM

I smoked for 39 years 2-3 packs a day. when I started pall malls were $1.85 a carton. I quit 15 years ago or I wouldn't be here today
Old 10-02-2010, 04:50 PM

Old 10-02-2010, 05:27 PM

I gave up smoking three years ago after 40 year, using Chantex. It does have some side effect but not too bad if you understand the side effects.
Old 10-02-2010, 05:27 PM

It will be 15 years in Dec for me. My clinic was offering a study for people wanting to quit and I went thru the program, was on a pill for 4 weeks and then we had to decide when we would quit. I was then put on either a placebo or the real thing for a few months and that was it. Never looked back and glad that I quit, it's getting hard for smokers to smoke anywhere. My state is smoke free in all public buildings and my city has no smoking bans on some of the city streets.