Were you a smoker

Old 10-03-2010, 01:01 AM

I stopped for about a year some 15 yrs ago until hubby announced he was leaving me lol needless to say i ran out n started smoking again for another 8 years, I started smoking at age 11, i know smack me. The dumbest part is since i was born ive been an asthmatic and pretty severe but by around 12 it mellowed conciderably. Then at age 36 the asthma came back with a vengenace and i was being hospitalized monthly yet stil smoked. Then i had a really extreme bout with the athma and spent 8 days in the hospital trying to breathe. I decided if i can go 9 days without a cig i can cont. and i did so. I did cheat once after a few years but omg the taste make me gag lol. So as of Aug i have been smoke free for 6 years YAY!!!! And congrats to all reformed smokers. As to those that still smoke trust me i hold no grudge. Best i stopped as now im a chronic severe asthmatic with COPD and im only 48.
Old 10-03-2010, 02:53 AM

Hi all - I smoked from about the age of 14 or so. Joined the army where money was not a problem and smoked a packet or more a day - fell pregnant and smoked all through two pregnancies (even tried hypnotherpy whilst pregnant to give them away) - still smoking and divorced and remarried - new hubby didnt like me smoking but so so - kept trying to give up (thought I was smart and used to go down to our chook pen on the farm to smoke thinking he didnt know) - anyway in 1994 the decision was give up or be broke all the time - I went to the doctor for patches - used them for two weeks - even my brother passed away in that two weeks - have not smoked since but have sure put the weight on - cant stand the smell of them at all or peoples clothes who smoke
Old 10-03-2010, 03:02 AM

Well done Joan. Hardest drug to give up, I reckon. I knit too, started when I quit.
Check out these sites for lovely wool:
http://store.nundlewoollenmill.com.au/
http://www.bendigowoollenmills.com.au/
My favourite wools come from these places.
Cheers
Rain
Old 10-03-2010, 04:45 AM

I gave up smoking thirty eight yrs. ago. There were no self help aids. I knew that when I was running out , I would have to buy another pack G-D forbid I should run out. I then ket two packs of cigs in my kitchen closet. and then stopped, knowing I always had cigarettes if I needed a puff. I never smoked again .
I never gained weight.I had a baby and two small boys . We were in a cottage on a lake in Canada.I just was too busy.
ceegee
Old 10-03-2010, 05:08 AM

I smoked for 20 years or so, but married a non-smoker...so because I tried to be considerate I started smoking outside. When I realized I seemed to be living my life from my back porch I knew it was time to quit. I got the patch that you only wear for 18 hours and decided to sleep the first day of it away. Day two I felt pretty good and by the beginning of week two the patches were gone and I am now considered by my family members that do smoke to be the worst all time non smoker ever! I detest everything about it now. What's strange though is it had been such a habit for so long every once in a great while "I need a cigarette break" slips out of my mouth from some place in my memory files! January 13th is my six year anniversary of my new life.
Old 10-03-2010, 05:48 AM

I never smoked... but I congratulate you all for the great job of quitting. My DH had a massive heart attack at 49 from cigs and sadly to say he stills smokes today. He tried everything and can't stop. Sister is on oxgen 24/7 from smoking and he still doesn't stop.
Old 10-03-2010, 05:58 AM

I have never smoked, but my father did. For 65 years. I had a heart attack at 49 and I told my Dad that he couldn't smoke around me anymore because it was a risk to my health. He put the cigarrets down that day and never smoked again.. He did it out of love for me.

Good luck to you. We're here for moral support.
Old 10-03-2010, 06:00 AM

If we all ex smokers were to add up the average we spent on c iggarretts in a week and we added it all up. I bet we could get rid of any financial deficits for the usa and uk.
Lol Scary really.
Old 10-03-2010, 06:04 AM

I quit about 10 years ago when my father had a heart attack, he was a smoker too. He came out of the hospital a non smoker and I decdided I needed to quit too. Used the patch for about 2 weeks. Did miss it for a long time, took up knitting, seefood eating(see food eat food) Can`t stand the smell now. So happy that it is over with. Congrats to all that have quit and all that will quit soon. A package of 25 is over $10 now, so if I say that I smoked a pack a day, them every week I can get $70 of quilt fabric.... Hooray
Old 10-03-2010, 06:23 AM
Power Poster

Dumb me started smoking when DH was in the military and every military wife I was around smoked. I never liked it much but got addicted anyway. Quitting was hard. An old Dr. told me no one has ever died from nicotine withdrawal so deal with it because no one cares if you quit or not so don't go around complaining how hard it is. I was mad at him for being so rude but he was right. It was up to me. I found the patch and used it. Sometimes I had two or more patches on at one time. I told the same Dr. my arm hurt from the patches and he said so? Better your arm hurt then your lungs rot. Deal with it. I sure miss that old goat.