Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 10-05-2010, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by Miz Johnny

No--Class 15 bobbins are flat and class 66 bobbins are domed (not doomed, domed). You can find either class in any sewing shop and most fabric shops. I have been sorting bobbins and needles tonight, and I swear to goodness they're breeding.

Also, 66 feed dogs don't drop--at least not easily. Look for a darning plate cover for your 66. And pick up a $5 or $10 Japanese SS machine with dropping feed dogs. It will drop right in your singer base.
Miz Johnny I did not get any bobbin with my Redeye so I have nothing to compare a bobbin to, to see the shape of the bobbin I need. Is there any other machine that uses the same bobbin as the Redeye so I can see what I need to use?

Nancy
The Singer 99, 401/403/500/503 and some modern Singers that I know nothing about.

There's a good comparison picture on this page:

http://tiny.cc/cga38
Old 10-05-2010, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by Love my stash

I have a 15 almost identical to yours. The only differences I see is that I have a small plate on mine that says '15', my wheel is all black, and mine was made in 1955. I wish I could find a cabinet for it. There were no accessories, so I'm in the hunt for the book, feet and needles.
Are you looking for a treadle or electric cabinet?
Old 10-05-2010, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by Love my stash
Hi All,

I HAVE A SINGER MODEL 15 FROM 1955. I AM NEEDING A BOOK FOR IT AND FEET AND NEEDLES. I SURE WOULD LIKE TO HEAR FROM YOU IF YOU CAN HELP. IT DIDN'T COME WITH ANYTHING. What needle would it use. I'm new to this but am excited and think I've been bitten too.......... LOL. So much to learn.

Cheryl
http://www.singermachines.co.uk/indstbooks.htm

Needles are standard 15 X 1, attachments are common low-shank used on most older Singer machines.

Some typical attachments can be seen here:

http://tiny.cc/z39ya
Old 10-05-2010, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Nancy
You will need class 66 bobbins for your Red Eye. Rule for selecting bobbins: metal machine- metal bobbins, plastic machine- plastic bobbins.
Don't buy the metal bobbins from JoAnns because they aren't the correct shape. You can purchase some metal 66s from Sew-Classic.
Some machines have no problem with newer bobbins; some absolutely refuse to sew. The clearance on the 201 is so small that it frequently refuses to sew on anything except vintage metal bobbins.
Old 10-05-2010, 12:24 PM

My husband just bought me from from a yard sale a Franklin treadle/electric sewing machine model number 117.52. It has been stored for years and needs a new electric cord that goes to the motor, belt and manual. I have come up with nothing for information thru sears.Do you have any idea where i can get parts for this? According to Sears there is no where to get them. but, there must be . Help , please. My husband feels so bad that it can't be fixed. But, I bet it can. Thank you for the help.
Old 10-05-2010, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif

Here is some helpful information for the two of you on your 15-90:
http://blog.sew-classic.com/2008/10/...ne-review.aspx

# 15-90 - solid hand wheel, external motor, belt drive- everything else is identical to the 15-91
# 15-89 - Natural born hand crank, spoked handwheel, no motor, otherwise- just like the 15-90 and 15-91
# 15-88 - spoked hand wheel, most often treadle operated, but sometimes equipped with an orignial Singer mot
Well according to this I have a 15-88 because mine is a 1939 with a spoked hand wheel and it is a treadle!

Back to bobbins, I thought Billy had told me that the Model 15 uses the bobbins that we can find at Wal Mart? The metal Singer Bobbins -- I may be wrong -- I need to go back and find that post! Anyway, I bought a bunch of those cheap bobbins and they work just fine on my Model 15-88.

I went to my local sewing repair man today and asked him for some 'class 66' bobbins for my Redeye. What he gave me for my Redeye Model 66 - for a much higher price than Wal Mart - was the exact same thing I got from Wal Mart for the Model 15.

Billy please comment on this post! We need your opinion!

Nancy
Old 10-05-2010, 01:23 PM

Also, I was talking to the sewing repair guy about FMQing on a treadle and about getting a 'darning plate.' He said that all I have to do is turn the stitch length screw all the way to zero. That way the feet don't move the fabric and you can FMQ all you want on any treadle? It makes sense to me, but I will have to try this.

Nancy
Old 10-05-2010, 01:43 PM

The bobbins that are with mine, or I think that is what they are are long and skinny. Looks like a spool of empty thread
Old 10-05-2010, 02:47 PM

Here is another question for anyone that has a White Rotary Electric sewing machine.

My White Rotary Electric with the embossed crinkle finish is working! My DH put a foot pedal and cord on the machine and it works! This is the machine we saved from the dump after some people got it so jammed up/frozen that they took a sledge hammer to the cabinet. This thing is indestructible -- it is embossed with a crinkle finish -- it looks like a bomb couldn't hurt it! Anyway, it wants to sew and the bobbin looks right, but it won't pick up the bobbin thread. Do these machines take a special needle -- as opposed to a Schmetz?

Nancy
Old 10-05-2010, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Here is another question for anyone that has a White Rotary Electric sewing machine.

Do these machines take a special needle -- as opposed to a Schmetz?

Nancy
Do you have the needle in the right way? They are threaded left to right I think. Also if it is the same as the Nationals and Domestics your needle is to short. Try not to put it up all the way to see if it will catch.