Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Binding Tip >

Binding Tip

Binding Tip

Old 10-06-2010, 05:46 AM

I have never ironed binding the way you mentioned but it does make sense even though you need to be careful that the quilt doesn't get flattened too much. When I make small items like wallhangings and table runners, I machine-stitch the binding on the BACK, press it out away from the edge and then turn it to the front, press it again, and then top-stitch very close to the inner edge of the binding. Pressing ensures that the binding is very straight and makes it easy to stitch. Hope this helps someone else!
Old 10-06-2010, 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by kdoublea
I have never ironed binding the way you mentioned but it does make sense even though you need to be careful that the quilt doesn't get flattened too much. When I make small items like wallhangings and table runners, I machine-stitch the binding on the BACK, press it out away from the edge and then turn it to the front, press it again, and then top-stitch very close to the inner edge of the binding. Pressing ensures that the binding is very straight and makes it easy to stitch. Hope this helps someone else!
That's exactly what I do. It's funny that I thought that everyone always pressed it to a fold before stitching. Makes it so much easier to stitch down, don't need as many pins, but I will try the glue stick method. I have to get a washable one; mine is permanent.
Old 10-06-2010, 06:41 AM

Great tip, especially since I am the worlds worst hand sewer!!I usually have to do bindings two times to get them so they look half way decent. Any tip to help this process is GREAT!!
Old 10-06-2010, 06:47 AM

This is a good tip. I just took a class in binding and this is what they taught us to do. It really helps as like you said you don't have to keep tugging the binding to the back.
Old 10-06-2010, 06:55 AM

Yes, I iron the back side and then add my clips to
hold fabric in place while hand sewing. Makes
the job so much easier this way. Also press binding
on front side. Betty Lee
Old 10-06-2010, 06:59 AM

You know I have been quilting for 6 years and I love binding, it's actually my favorite part of the whole process and leads cutting, which I also love. But I just started pressing the binding back and it is so common sense, I can't believe I haven't done it before this!!
Old 10-06-2010, 07:00 AM

Great tip!!! I would have never have thought of that.
Old 10-06-2010, 07:04 AM

I agree...just put the glue at the very edge of the material. I have done this a few times now and works great. If you glue too close to the 1/4 inch the glue will show on your fabric. I use the glue stick, its not messy.
Originally Posted by justme2
New tip for me....thank you. I have too many miniatures & a couple wall hanings needing binding.I hate binding :-) going to try glue & ironing together. Something should help !

BTW....someone asked if glue would gum up the needle.I asked the same.She said you sew binding to quilt, then add thin bit of glue....the glue is right along quilt edge, tho on binding.So there's not enough to get on needle from that far away.Then press & sew binding down. Hope thats clear as mud.:-)
Old 10-06-2010, 07:06 AM

Thanks for the great tips. I'm going to try these on my next binding. :thumbup:
Old 10-06-2010, 07:43 AM

Great sugsetion. Thanks Mari